Hello!

Finally finished up my pre-reqs and so I am thinking about applying as early as possible for the next cycle! I am little confused about when to apply, although the consensus from other forums seem to be April of 2018?

I am mostly worried about my GRE score and I am debating on if I should retake it for the sake of getting a higher percentile. I am also afraid because I have no PA shadowing although I have worked briefly with one before. I do not know how much this will hurt my application. I also do not know if I need to take more courses. I research all the schools I am interested in, and made sure to meet all the pre-reqs but will doing the bare minimum hurt me?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I am super anxious lol!

A brief background on my stats:

Pre-reqs:
Nutrition: A
Medical Terminology: A
Statistics: A
Psychology: A
Bio I: A
Genetics: A
Microbiology: A
Chem I: A
Orgo: B
A+P 1: B
A+P 2: B 

GRE:
Verbal: 157 (76th percentile)
Quantitative: 152 (47th percentile)
Analytical Writing: 4.0 (60th percentile)
**Didnt study at all so I think I can get this score up if I did**

HCE:
Medical Assistant at Urgent Care: 2 yrs (full time)
Medical Assistant at Primary Care: 3 months (full time)
Clinical Research Associate: 1 yr (part-time)
**I worked like 7 days a week doing both MA and CRA positions almost every week except the last few months***

Volunteer:
Case Manager and Disaster Relief Responder for the Red Cross: November 2017- May 2017 

Certifications:
Basic Life Support, Mental Health First Aid, Opioid Overdose Responder 

LOR:
Commitment obtained from an MD, and two NPs.

Your pre-req stats look great and your HCE is on par with the average matriculated PA student. What is your cumulative and science GPA?

I think your stats are looking good! Quantitative GRE is a little low but combined you have >300 which is okay.  Would definitely recommend shadowing a PA to make sure it is the career you want and to round out your application. A letter of recommendation from the PA you shadow can also be beneficial. 

You have plenty of time because CASPA doesn’t open until the end of April. 

Good luck! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PrePA1208
      Will I be completely overlooked if I answer yes to academic dishonesty question on CASPA?
      My senior year of undergrad I took an management online course. There was an ungraded assignment that I didn't think I had to complete. To my dismay, the professor stated in his syllabus that the failure to complete this specific module to the best of our ability would result in being reported as academic dishonesty. Needless to say, he reported over 100 students.  I had zero intentions of cheating. It was an act of laziness-- if anything. The assignment itself was ungraded and didn't even go towards my grade to begin with.  I was just given a written warning for "the failure to comply with instructions." I tried to appeal but the professor was trying to make a point to the class. I still received an A in the course.  However, I understand that I must answer yes to the academic dishonesty question.
      I am discouraged and worried that this mistake will cost me my future as a PA.  I am not sure how to explain what happened in only 500 characters and have them believe that it really was just that and not me trying to put a positive twist on my actions. The rest of my application is fairly strong. It will be two years since this occurred when I apply. Should I be worried? Will PAs even consider me? Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • By wallsmp
      I thought I’d start this since I didn’t see any posts about this application cycle yet. Has anyone heard back besides the normal “we received your application” email?
    • By jaderiv
      I thought I would start this thread since CWRU is one of my top choices! I have not submitted my application yet, but I plan to do so middle July. Good luck everyone!
    • By jlhuy260
      Hello everyone! Just wanted to start the forum for the current application cycle. Good luck to everyone! 🙂
      CASPA and supplemental application submitted on 5/26/19.
    • By jlhuy260
      Hello everyone! Just wanted to start a forum for the current application cycle! 🙂 Good luck to everyone!
      Submitted my CASPA on 5/17/19!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More