Pharmaceutical Science and PA

Is there such a thing as a Pharmacy Physician Assistant? Sounds kind of odd but I' m just wondering if there is something similar. I have worked at a hospital since I was in high school as well as working as a Pharmacy Tech. I would love to work as a Clinical Pharmacist or something similar. I am currently working towards my BSPS (Bachelors of Science in Pharmaceutical Science). I have been looking at a lot of Pharmacy Schools as well as PA schools. I come from a family with strong beliefs to not take out student loans and therefore Pharmacy School may not be a great option for me additionally I would have to dorm because the campus is far from where I live. I do not want to move away from my family. This is my personal decision, but I do want to further my education and I have been looking into a PA school nearby to me and more affordable. My plans are to graduate within a year with my BSPS and then continue as a hospital pharmacy tech, shadow PA's, and get more experience as maybe a nursing assistant then apply to PA school. What possible career options would be out there after PA school for someone with Pharmaceutical background?

Also, I found this article on PPAs (Pharmacy Physician Assistants). Has anyone heard of this potentially happening?

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drug-topics/content/tags/pharmacy-physician-assistant/pharmacy-physician-assistant?page=full

Thanks.

The three-year-old article you reference is one man's (a pharmacist/lawyer) wish for the future role of pharmacists, who would also appear to be fully trained PharmDs. We see a tiny bit of this in pharmacists who now give flu shots, but nothing greater as of yet. And, if it happens, I doubt that they'll be called PPAs. As far as true PAs working in the pharmacy, I've never seen that. They might be nearby in a retail clinic, but not part of the pharmacy.

PAs have some training in pharmacology (two semesters, more or less from what I've seen) but primarily to be able to apply medications (and be aware of their adverse effects) in clinical situations. 

Most of us are raised with family preferences, including the role of borrowing/not borrowing money, the acceptability of moving away if we have to to get where we want to be in life, and countless other tendencies and morals. If you accept all of them, you may find that where you are is where you must stay. There is nothing wrong with "sprouting where you are planted," but it will of necessity limit some of your life choices.

Each of us gets just one life to lead and, as we grow up, we naturally take more responsibility for own own lives. Part of that is deciding if the way you were raised is exactly the way you want to live, or if you want to embrace something new here and there. Coming face-to-face with your life after finishing your schooling is one time where fully considering your options may be beneficial.

That's not a slap at your family; they had the same choices you now have and made theirs. Now it's time for you to make yours.

Best wishes.

Wingate University in North Carolina had talks at home time of a 5 year PA/PharmD dual degree program. They never went through with it, and it sounds absolutely miserable to me. But perhaps this will become a thing in the future? Nevertheless, as UGoLong has already stated, at this point in time I dont see that being a thing. I dont know why a Pharmacy PA would need to be a thing when pharmacists themselves are so underutilized. 

Archived