considering job in physical medicine & Rehab

Hello all,

I have been in ortho for past 6 years. I recently had a baby and decided to go back part-time. Of course my current employer is not very happy and is only wanting me full-time (which I understant). Anyways, I have only been making 70k annually so I started to look for another position.

All ortho positions are full time only so I decided to change specialties.

I did get an offer in physical medicine and rehabilitation where PAs and NPs are utilized to give variety of injections (Us guided knee injections, trigger, SI etc...)

It is a part time position M, W, Th 9am-7pm.. No weekends....No call. No benefits because it is a part-time position but I get it through my husband anyways. The employer pays my malpractice insurance. He is offering $45 hour plus productivity bonus... this is a 2 year contract

Is this a good deal?? The salary comes out to be the same as if I would go back to my old full-time position....

Are there any PAs in physical medicine that could shine some light on this....

thanks in advance

I think that sounds pretty good. I've been in PM&R for 4 years now. I do a lot of injections plus officevisits. It's good that they are doingMSK ultrasound. I think that is the future plus the reimbursement is betterthan floro guided. Do they prescribeopioids? if so you should be comfortablewriting a lot. Where is the job located?

how many hours do you work a week?

if this is your only job they should pay for DEA, state license, malpractice and CME funds (heck they are getting all the beneift of employing you)

If they do not want to do this they $45 needs to be a lot higher - I get $65 at my per diem job.

also, they should give PTO for hoildays and the like - in my career full time employ starts at 32 hours and part time over 20 hours.....

Make sure you are and employe and not a 1099 contractor - search otehr threads on this topic for more info

If you can get productivity bonus that would be great - go for 50% of collections on procedures and get in writing that you can review all billings and receipts (otherwise they might not tell you honestly)

in short - if it is over 20 hours you should be an employe with at least some bennies (enough to pay to keep you licensed and educated) and get any bonus or productivity pay in writing in the contract with the fact you get access to your receipts and billings. If they are honest and open this could be a great job. PMR can be a great field

good luck

Thanks for all your replies.

The job is in Illinois. Hours 9 am-7pm. 3 days a week. Full time available whenever I want it. He did mention there is productivity bonus. The only thing I have to ask is about 401K but don't know if that has to be offered if one is part time. For those if you in this specialty....what is your typical day...how many patients do you see....mine would be every 15 min... what type of injections do you prrform....

wow that is full time by my count 3 x 10 hours is 30 hours per week

eve hours STINK and doc's try to shuck them off on us and try to save money in the process

I work a 3 day week in internal med with an additional 2-4 hours a week in a NH - 80k per year with full bennies including healt care for my family for free my pay is not great at around 47 per hour, and PTO 4 weeks vacation, 3 days cme, $1000 CME

15min appointments!! WTH

that is 30+ patients per day

that times $50 per patient is $4500 per week in receipts for the practice..... and they should be giving you ALOT more then a part time pay

might appear good - but they have to step up and make it financially okay

in a chronic pain practice I did joint injections and trigger points - the medical director was new and did not want a PA doing any injections unless a doc was in the office (hosptial owned clinic) and she destroyed the clinic after I left - I was capped at 12 patients a day and making over 100 per year but bored stiff!

I see about 15 to 20 per day in a eight hour day. Depends on how many injections I have. I find that I have enough time if I see about 3 per hour with a lunch. I do any peripheral joint, nerve block, tendon sheath, hip and SI joint injections plus a few others. Most of these are ultrasound guided. I do not do any spinal injections (epidurals, medial branch blocks, radiofrequency neurotomy and facet joint injections). all of these are floro guided in our office. I see a lot of rechecks as well mostly med changes/refills. I make $85,000 with a production bonus which is 20% of my production after I collect 2x my salary. This has figured over 20k in the past two years. I agree with Ventana, make sure you have access to all of your receipts and charges. some times offices are bad at collecting and that would affect your production decpite your hard work. That is a billing issue and not yours. Overall I love my job, but I work with 2 great docs in a private owned clinic and they let me do pretty much whatever I feel I can do.

I see about 15 to 20 per day in a eight hour day. Depends on how many injections I have. I find that I have enough time if I see about 3 per hour with a lunch. I do any peripheral joint, nerve block, tendon sheath, hip and SI joint injections plus a few others. Most of these are ultrasound guided. I do not do any spinal injections (epidurals, medial branch blocks, radiofrequency neurotomy and facet joint injections). all of these are floro guided in our office. I see a lot of rechecks as well mostly med changes/refills. I make $85,000 with a production bonus which is 20% of my production after I collect 2x my salary. This has figured over 20k in the past two years. I agree with Ventana, make sure you have access to all of your receipts and charges. some times offices are bad at collecting and that would affect your production decpite your hard work. That is a billing issue and not yours. Overall I love my job, but I work with 2 great docs in a private owned clinic and they let me do pretty much whatever I feel I can do.

How long did it take you to be comfortable with these injections? I am really nervous.... it will be be and NP running the clinic and doc will be in another clinic about 5 MILES away... I am nervous about seeing patient every 15 min as I don't know how long it will be take me to do injection and write office note!

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for me?

The docs are very confident in PAs and think I can work independent!

I'm sure you would be able to work independent, but if you don't have any or much experience with US then it may be a steep learning curve. I started with knees and shoulders (sub deltoid) and added injections as I became more comfortable. I If its just an injection and no office visit and everything is set up you should have no problem getting it done in 15 min. when you are comfortable performing the injection. Hopefully they will do some training so you are comfortable doing the procedure correctly. believe it or not, check you tube for videos. sonosite has a bunch of them on there. review your regional anatomy. Having a ortho backgroun will help.

I'm sure you would be able to work independent, but if you don't have any or much experience with US then it may be a steep learning curve. I started with knees and shoulders (sub deltoid) and added injections as I became more comfortable. I If its just an injection and no office visit and everything is set up you should have no problem getting it done in 15 min. when you are comfortable performing the injection. Hopefully they will do some training so you are comfortable doing the proarcedure correctly. believe it or not, check you tube for videos. sonosite has a bunch of them on there. review your regional anatomy. Having a ortho backgroun will help.

Thanks wilso2ar :)

Yes....Us is difficult....I just can't see much.

you do your own set up for injection....but after much practice I'm sure i'll do fine....I haven't signed the contract yet b/ c there are few things I don't like...such as he told me contract for 2me years ....and in contract its stated 3 years ... that's a long commitment! !! I don't even have my cell phone contract for that long!!! Another issue I ran into was tha tafter termination i can't work within 15 mile radius! I think that's ridiculous....I live about 2 Miles from the clinic and if working there will make me work further in the. Future because of this job....then forget it...

Thanks wilso2ar :)

Yes....Us is difficult....I just can't see much.

you do your own set up for injection....but after much practice I'm sure i'll do fine....I haven't signed the contract yet b/ c there are few things I don't like...such as he told me contract for 2me years ....and in contract its stated 3 years ... that's a long commitment! !! I don't even have my cell phone contract for that long!!! Another issue I ran into was tha tafter termination i can't work within 15 mile radius! I think that's ridiculous....I live about 2 Miles from the clinic and if working there will make me work further in the. Future because of this job....then forget it...

nocompete clauses can not be that restrictive - a few miles for a few months (12 at most) is really all the courts have upheld and in some states non-compete for doc's are illegal as they have the potential to negativly effect teh entire community's health care

Some pretty big red flags there -

I would NOT sign a contract for any length with out the ability to give notice and get out - ie 60 days notice from either party, also, I would NEVER sign a non-compete clause - just no point in it for us and in doing so you are asking to have to hire an attorney. Also, someone that is presenting you with such a legaleze contract is likely going to try and take advantage of you are every turn - offer to work for them for a fair wage with productivity but don't give your services and don't feel you have to sign anything with such restrictive language..... sort of sets the tone for them trying to take advantage of you.

Archived