Sign in to follow this  
MisterBen

When to start applying for jobs?

I'm currently a 2nd year PA student and I'll graduate May 2018. i hear some of my classmates talking about applying for jobs already, but it seems too early. I've done some background research on different areas, openings, that kind of thing, but it seems early to actually apply for jobs. When should I start applying for jobs? Any advice is appreciated.

Hit it in January.  That way, in the "sweet spot" about 2 months before graduation, you'll either have something lined up or have a few interviews under your belt when the right job comes along. 

Remember that healthcare can have huge lag time between when you apply, when you hear something, when you interview, and when you finally have a decision.

Start now (or after the holidays) and you still might not have something lined up by graduation.  I know some students intentionally waited until after graduation because A: they didn't know what field they wanted to be in and B: it maximized their time off but I would say the majority of us would prefer to have a job lined up before we graduate.

Starting now will make it (hopefully) a less stressful process.  The worst that happens is they say no or we need someone now.  There's not much downside here.

• Upvote 1

Remember, licensing usually takes weeks to months depending on your state. I would try to have a job lined up by graduation and then have a “forced licensing vacation.” I’d probably start looking in January. Hiring processes stall over the holidays, anyway. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think you really can start too soon. Just remember it's a long process taking PANCE, Licensure, job interviews, all the paper work that goes along with credentialing etc.     Main thing is don't get discouraged!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Pastudent463
      What are some book/resources that you used to study for the PAEA end of rotation exams. Did you follow the blueprint exactly when studying? 
      Thanks!
    • By Pastudent463
      Our program is starting rotations soon and we are using standardized end of rotation exams though the PAEA.  What are the best books to use to prepare for these exams or any end of rotation exam? 
      Thanks in advance! 
    • By futurepac93
      Hello,
      I am looking for an MD, DO, PA, or ARNP to be my preceptor in the Central FL area for 6 week clinical rotations starting in August. The specialties I need are: Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Psych, and Women's Health. Let me know if anyone has any connects! Thanks in advance.
    • By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com
    • By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More