When to start applying for jobs?

I'm currently a 2nd year PA student and I'll graduate May 2018. i hear some of my classmates talking about applying for jobs already, but it seems too early. I've done some background research on different areas, openings, that kind of thing, but it seems early to actually apply for jobs. When should I start applying for jobs? Any advice is appreciated.

Remember that healthcare can have huge lag time between when you apply, when you hear something, when you interview, and when you finally have a decision.

Start now (or after the holidays) and you still might not have something lined up by graduation.  I know some students intentionally waited until after graduation because A: they didn't know what field they wanted to be in and B: it maximized their time off but I would say the majority of us would prefer to have a job lined up before we graduate.

Starting now will make it (hopefully) a less stressful process.  The worst that happens is they say no or we need someone now.  There's not much downside here.

Guest HanSolo

Remember, licensing usually takes weeks to months depending on your state. I would try to have a job lined up by graduation and then have a “forced licensing vacation.” I’d probably start looking in January. Hiring processes stall over the holidays, anyway. 

Archived