aderesse

I got a OVI 10 years ago, how is this going to effect my chances of getting in pa school?

I am applying for PA school and on the application it asks me to state if I have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor. I received a OVI in 2007 when I was 18 and since have had a clean record. What is the best way to word an incident like this? I plan on acknowledging how wrong it was but also talk about how I overcame the incident and how I didn’t let it stop me from achieving my goals. Is this going to severely hurt my chances of getting into PA school? Please help!

Thank You!

It shouldn’t be a problem, I should think. Address it, note that you learned a lesson, and move on. Don’t go overboard and make it a major theme in your essay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not at all, just lesson learned as stated.  Don't even think about lying about it, though.  They will find out.  

Best way to word it?  Brevity is your friend.  You are on the right track in thinking it can become a positive.  You failed yourself and did something monumentally stupid, learned a lesson, moved on.  Done, and here's what I've learned and done more recently.

2 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

All right, I'll ask the stupid question.  What's an OVI?  Operation of a motor vehicle, intoxicated maybe?

Thank you for asking, I wanted to but ..... lol

Guest ral
1 hour ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

All right, I'll ask the stupid question.  What's an OVI?  Operation of a motor vehicle, intoxicated maybe?

I was wondering as well.  

Best I could come up with was "Offering Vaginal Inspection".  Although not necessarily a misdemeanor, it could earn you a face slap, especially if proposed to a stranger at the mall.

59 minutes ago, ral said:

I was wondering as well.  

Best I could come up with was "Offering Vaginal Inspection".  Although not necessarily a misdemeanor, it could earn you a face slap, especially if proposed to a stranger at the mall.

And friends, we have a winner!  Sorry OP, I know it isn't a laughing matter to yourself.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By sacharle
      There is an awesome organization called ThePAC (Physician Assistants of Color) that holds diversity events in multiple cities across the U.S. The next one will be in Detroit, Michigan on September 28, 2019. The event is a great opportunity for all three levels of the profession! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357
      Pre-PAs get to talk directly to program directors from the local/surrounding region (this event will have 7), and get specific advice about their application profile from programs directly as well as experienced PA students and PA-Cs. 
      PA-S  and PA-C get to fraternize and network with each other as well as tap into resources such as job recruiters, financial advisors, and transition to practice information. 
      There are always lots of giveaways such as medical equipment, PANCE/PANRE prep, discounts on scrub companies, and more. 
      This event is open to any and everyone no matter the race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. 
      If you cannot attend this event, give them a follow on IG @thepa.c or FB 'Physician Assistants of Color' so you can get notified of when the next event/location will be. 

• By 57WestDerm
      * DERMATOLOGY MEDICAL ASSISTANT - MIDTOWN WEST* 
      Welcoming, friendly and motivated individual for Medical Assistant position in our small, established Midtown West Dermatology practice. We are interested ONLY in applicants who planning a future career as a Physician Assistant - and want to gain experience in the medical field before applying to graduate school. 
      This is a great way to gain experience, get shadowing hours & boost your CV before applying to this highly competitive field! Most of our prior Medical Assistants have gone on to attend various prestigious PA programs after completing this internship. 
      REQUIREMENTS:
      We would need a commitment or 1.5-2 years minimum. You would be working closely with Carrie Doolan, RPA-C and Dr. Alan Glass, who have more than 20 years professional experience. 
      APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS THE FOLLOWING: 
      Reliability, honesty and compassion. 
      Flexibility with schedule: (jobs are full time, 5 days a week including several evenings but NO weekends). 
      Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. 
      Knowledge of EMR or at least tech savvy (this is a paperless office - iPad-based). 
      Prior experience in Dermatology a plus
      RESPONSIBILITIES: 
      Promoting a peaceful, professional atmosphere. 
      Triaging patients and maintaining flow from waiting area to exam rooms. 
      Respecting patient privacy and compliancy with HIPPA. 
      Inspecting exam rooms before and after each patient and restocking supplies. 
      Prepping and maintaining clean treatment rooms to OSHA standards. 
      In depth knowledge of pre and post care treatment to educate patients, 
      Assisting providers with medical, surgical and cosmetic procedures. 
      Processing biopsies and cultures, logging data accordingly and interacting with laboratory. 
      Performing inventory of supplies and equipment and communicating needs for ordering. 
      Sterilizing equipment using autoclave. 
      Cross training with front desk staff for emergency coverage. 
      Willingness to learn common Dermatology language and treatments to effectively communicate with providers, patients and pharmacy staff. 
      Attending mandatory monthly meetings and quarterly outings to provide feedback, make suggestions for improvements and promote a cohesive team environment. 

INTERESTED? Email your resume & questions to 57WestDerm@icloud.com
    • By helloMHE
      Hi everyone, this is a new forum for new application 2019-2020. Good luck to everyone and may God bless every step in your future.
    • By jaderiv
      I thought I would start this thread since CWRU is one of my top choices! I have not submitted my application yet, but I plan to do so middle July. Good luck everyone!
    • By mly3025
      Hi everyone. I am currently applying this cycle with these stats.
      According to my calculations:
      cGPA = 3.12
      sGPA = 3.23
      These grades are the combined total of all my classes, including undergraduate (cGPA 2.88 and sGPA 2.96). I took post-bac classes (53 credits) and received A's in all them, which include major pre reqs required by most PA schools. For one year, I worked full time while taking courses. 
      GRE = 309 total. 154 Quant (55th percentile) 155 Verbal (69th percentile) and 5.0 writing (93rd percentile) 
      Total PCE ~ 4057 hours for about 2 years of working full time + per diem. I am continuing to work full time so this number will increase.  
      Total HCE/Volunteer  ~ 100 hours at a senior center 
      Shadowing ~ 585 hours (480 of which was during work hours where I would directly work with a PA throughout my shift) 
      Leadership role as a board member of a student association group and extra curricular's involving dance choreographer during my time as an undergraduate student. I may also be TA-ing microbology or anatomy this spring. 
      I feel strong in my letters of recommendations and am currently in the process of trimming and editing my personal statement draft. I am continuing to shadow PA's after work now that my school semester is over, but I do not think its a good idea for me to continue taking courses since it would require a bunch of other classes to bump my GPA up even higher. Besides this, what can I do to stand out more and make myself a better applicant to offset my low GPA?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More