Just curious of what everyone's thoughts are about the Lynchburg College DMSc program? This seems like a pretty big advancement, a doctoral level degree being offered for PAs by a PA school but I haven't been able to find much discussion about it.  Personally I think it's a pretty fair program that gives the opportunity to enhance clinical knowledge and learn some basics of hospital admin/leadership. 

• Upvote 2

Birddogpa - Did you do it (DMSc from Lynchburg)?  I just applied.  If so, Im sure you are done now.  Curious what you're doing. I graduated from PA school 9 years ago.  I figure I will pursue it because after 10 years... it may give me more options.... whether I exercise my options right away or down the road. 

• Upvote 1

Looking to apply straight out of PA school. Hoping it makes early transisition into academia or leadership smoother. Heard from Dr. Rust that admissions weren’t too competitive.

Also seems like a good idea to get “even” with DNPs (sigh*). Doesn’t seem to be geared towards improving clinical skills though. Edit: you also won’t have to deal with people saying DNPs are “more educated”. Lol

Edited by brandonhughey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It probably isn't too competitive because this is an idea that is just gaining traction. Now would be a good time to get in. I suspect in time it will be expected of us though that will take several years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

the first entry level doctoral program opens in 2021...

Still forming my opinions on ENTRY level doctorates... Cost seems like an issue... PAs make ok $$$ but many doctoral programs now-a-days are $100k+ tuition. What are your thoughts?

Edited by brandonhughey

It also begs the question.... Med schools are talking about shrinking to 3 years. We go to entry level doctorate. Why not go to med school? Still have that pesky residency....

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

It also begs the question.... Med schools are talking about shrinking to 3 years. We go to entry level doctorate. Why not go to med school? Still have that pesky residency....

My understanding is there a pushback on the 3 year programs. The old guard looks down on them cause they went through 4 years and hate to see others that did not do the same. However, in my circumstance I hope the schools i apply to all change to 3 years. 

58 minutes ago, brandonhughey said:

Still forming my opinions on ENTRY level doctorates... Cost seems like an issue... PAs make ok $$$ but many doctoral programs now-a-days are $100k+ tuition. What are your thoughts?

entry level doctoral program likely not more than MS + DMSc. might as well get it done with and save yourself a year. it is not any longer than an ms program.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

and mcats...and ochem...and biochem...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

and mcats...and ochem...and biochem...

Medical schools are moving away from required prereqs. Now these schools do have "recommended course work" which may be a euphemism for prerequisite. Two off the top of my head are Vandy and Wake.

Edited by PAtoMD
clarification

4 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

I took ochem and biochem...and hated it

It was part of our program

never took either. it was why I applied PA instead of MD. I made a mistake.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

were you in my class or Dr Watkins?

I had Elyse Watkins as a teacher I believe. Global Health? It all feels like a blur. 

• Like 1

I think it’s become more common for PA programs to require nearly the same science background as med school. 

Every program I looked at (including where I eventually attended) required biochem and usually to take bio you need organic.

We need parity with NP’s but I’m not sure on the path there.

When I was looking into PA school and DO school the local PA schools actually required more undergrad prereqs, primarily a year of A&P with a lab.  The med schools did that in their 1st year.

On 4/5/2019 at 4:02 PM, EMEDPA said:

never took either. it was why I applied PA instead of MD. I made a mistake.

I took Orgo 1/2 with lab and upper division biochem with lab and did not apply to medical school. Some days I think I made a mistake, but when I look at my life style and my budget looks like I can retire at 59 1/2 with over a million bucks in my nest egg I don't feel sad anymore! 🙂 

• Upvote 1

I will be graduating in a few weeks and the DMSc is already paying off some. Helped to secure a new job that pays a premium and have gotten my first request to guest lecture. Also using it to satisfy some of the requirements to sit for CAQ-EM exam. 

On 4/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, brandonhughey said:

Looking to apply straight out of PA school. Hoping it makes early transisition into academia or leadership smoother. Heard from Dr. Rust that admissions weren’t too competitive.

Also seems like a good idea to get “even” with DNPs (sigh*). Doesn’t seem to be geared towards improving clinical skills though. Edit: you also won’t have to deal with people saying DNPs are “more educated”. Lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BirdDogPA said:

I will be graduating in a few weeks and the DMSc is already paying off some. Helped to secure a new job that pays a premium and have gotten my first request to guest lecture. Also using it to satisfy some of the requirements to sit for CAQ-EM exam. 

WOW awesome!!!

• Like 1

Despite a fairly steady amount of griping (from me and a few others) about some of the aspects of the program, I found it to be useful and that I often cite examples in day-to-day practice and teaching of things that I learned. Overall, a worthwhile endeavor. Necessary? Not really but I have been a PA for over 15 years and was excited to advance my degree in a relatively short period of time and for what was a very fair price (IMO). 

• Upvote 2

How was the "PA Practicum" structured? I've wondered this about the other PA doctorates as well. My understanding is you just do your normal job and have some extra assignments/papers/presentations related to it.