Can PAs take ATLS, not just audit?

21 hours ago, AprilMedic said:

Are you able to take this course as a PA student?  I tried emailing about a class at a local hospital and got nothing but crickets in reply.  I'd like to have this cert before graduating and applying to emergency positions.

Yes you are, I took mine about 6 months ago while still in PA school. I just wouldn't make a big deal about it and sign up for the class and no one will probably question it. 

• 3 years later...
On 5/9/2021 at 6:17 AM, TeddyRucpin said:

Reviving this from the dead. Took the class over the weekend with mostly residents, some attendings, and a few RNs. I checked the ATLS card from a anesthesiologist friend in the class and both of ours say “provider.” 

Ive heard rumblings from the lead trauma surgeon at my old hospital ACS may become more lenient on having APPs teach ATLS as well.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Ive heard rumblings from the lead trauma surgeon at my old hospital ACS may become more lenient on having APPs teach ATLS as well.

That would be awesome. I’ve taken the gamut of alphabet courses as a medic; most are BS these days (open book tests and dumbed down to the lowest common denominator). ATLS was awesome and very interesting; it was really worth it. 

• 1 month later...