Tablet recommendations?

Guest polishedpas

Guest polishedpas

Hi everyone,

I'll be starting my program in about 2 weeks and have recently purchased a new MacBook Pro. I've noticed a lot of students mentioning the use of tablets for studying/taking notes. This isn't really something I've ever done, but I'm wondering if a tablet would also be beneficial on top of my computer.

For those of you who use tablets, what about them do you prefer that you'd rather do on your computer? (Certain apps, etc)

Thanks in advance!

Ps: I have an iPad mini (it's about 3 years old), so if a tablet does make that much of a difference, can I just use the one I have?

I’m assuming you have a student in the class ahead of you assigned as a mentor. If not, call and see if you can get one. A student in tour program is probably the best source for a recommendation since the IT environments may differ school to school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest polishedpas

Yes, I was assigned a "senior buddy!" I'll ask her. I was wondering mostly for general studying apps, such as Notability, and why a lot of students actually opt for a tablet instead of using the computer.

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, polishedpas said:

Yes, I was assigned a "senior buddy!" I'll ask her. I was wondering mostly for general studying apps, such as Notability, and why a lot of students actually opt for a tablet instead of using the computer.

Thanks!

The iPad mini could work for note taking, but it depends how much writing space you like... They're a little on the smaller side. I haven't started yet, but I plan on getting an iPad pro. You can get a cheaper one off of Ebay. They have much bigger screens, higher resolution, come with a stylus etc, but still light-weight. And of course it'll sync perfectly with the Macbook pro and iPhone. So you can take notes/write over power points using OneNote or Notability in class, and continue at home with your Macbook pro for studying and more complicated tasks. 

I'd also throw out the Microsoft surface Pro. I'd probably get that if weren't for the fact that I have a Macbook and iPhone:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ipad-pro-vs-surface-pro-5-ways-to-choose/

Here's a link comparing the mini vs the standard ipad vs the pro:

https://www.imore.com/which-ipad-should-you-get

Note-taking example:

Guest polishedpas
2 hours ago, LeQuack said:

The iPad mini could work for note taking, but it depends how much writing space you like... They're a little on the smaller side. I haven't started yet, but I plan on getting an iPad pro. You can get a cheaper one off of Ebay. They have much bigger screens, higher resolution, come with a stylus etc, but still light-weight. And of course it'll sync perfectly with the Macbook pro and iPhone. So you can take notes/write over power points using OneNote or Notability in class, and continue at home with your Macbook pro for studying and more complicated tasks. 

I'd also throw out the Microsoft surface Pro. I'd probably get that if weren't for the fact that I have a Macbook and iPhone:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ipad-pro-vs-surface-pro-5-ways-to-choose/

Here's a link comparing the mini vs the standard ipad vs the pro:

https://www.imore.com/which-ipad-should-you-get

Note-taking example:

Thanks so much for the links!

I would recommend an ipad pro with an Apple pencil. The combo is kind of pricy, but you can "write" notes on the slides directly. Some research shows writing is better than typing in learning. For me, I just prefer to write, color, and draw diagrams directly on the slides, rather than typing everything. I also recommend the app Notability, which works on ipad and Macbook Pro and can sync smoothly. 

If you're not an Apple person, you can achieve this same goal with surface pro, its pencil, and OneNote. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the iPad pro and use Notability religiously. My favorite thing about the app is that you can record the lectures through it while you are taking notes. If you want to relisten to the lecture you can just click on whatever note you made and the lecture will start playing from when you made that specific note. 

Honestly, you shouldn't need a tablet.  The Macbook Pro would be fine for taking notes.  

I would recommend a steno pad and a pen.  The action of writing out your notes takes longer than typing.  You'll retain the information better, and be less tempted to surf the internet.  Material can get dry at times, and it was a huge, not always beatable temptation to surf the net at times.

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, DDoc-Skyline said:

I am looking into the iPad pro 10.5" and 12.9" models. For those using either model, what was the factor that helped you make your decision? Not taking into account cost.  

I have the ipad pro 10.5 and I love it. I got that size because it is easier to travel with. I have a case that has a keyboard and it works just like a mini computer.

Archived