Sign in to follow this  
Thinker

Is Rosalind franklin PA school for me?

I'm considering both nursing and pa school- but being a pa is more attractive to me for many reasons, including my interest and personality.

However, i am almost 40 and have a toddler at home. I have a masters degree in non healthcare field, and am taking pre read now. Is PA school even an option for me?? 

Is travel required at RFU? 

I'm considering both nursing and pa school- but being a pa is more attractive to me for many reasons, including my interest and personality.
However, i am almost 40 and have a toddler at home. I have a masters degree in non healthcare field, and am taking pre read now. Is PA school even an option for me?? 
Is travel required at RFU? 

Others will have to tell you about RFU. As far as your age, not a problem (I was much older and I now have students your age.) If you have small children, you will need a good support system.

Best wishes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a friend who went to RFU a few years ago. Inbox me and i can get you in touch with her - she would be happy to address your questions about their program.

Thinker.... I currently attend RFU and graduate in May.  By far going to PA school, at rosalind franklin, was the best decision I ever made.  It is truly an AWESOME school.  if you have questions feel free to reach out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LBMiller
      I am a 1996 graduate of a PA program. I was a PA-C for 10 years and worked 8 of them. I had kids, got busy, but now want to get back to my first love. I realize I must retake the PANCE. Has anyone here on the forum gone through or is currently in the same situation?  There is a plethora of info for first timers just graduating or recertifiers currently in practice. I haven’t practiced in 15 years. I do keep up with reading but haven’t logged CME’s in 10 years. To make matters worse I currently live in Arkansas which has a huge NP presence. Licensure is a series of hoops. You actually have to have your supervising physician go with you to Little Rock’s medical board and they ask your SP if he has seen you do various procedures. If he has not well, you are not able to perform those procedures. NP’s are licensed through nursing board not Medical board so they have a huge scope of practice.
      Anywho, anybody out there with advice?
      I am planning on taking an online prep then doing these qbank questions. Lots of help here on what to use to get ready for PANCE I’m just concerned my knowledge may be lacking due to the time out of practice. 
      Appreciate it. 
    • By alyons
      I am starting a PA program in January. I have 2 kids,  who will be 2 yrs old and 6 months old,  at that point. My husband and I are deciding whether he should work or stay at home while I'm in the program.   In his current job (for an organ procurement org) he works evenings.  So that means we will need part time child care, but that he and I will virtually never see each other. The other option is for him to stay at home with the kids, not need childcare, get to actually see him some, but obviously that means living off of loans (i.e. more debt).  Ive googled this topic and i've mostly seen posts about guys in PA school and wife stays home with kids.   I;m worried if he is working we are both going to be burning the candle at both ends between work/school and caring for the children with our opposite schedules.

do most people in the program with kids have a "stay at home" spouse?  Is it realistic to get by living only on loans for the duration of the program?

help!
    • By gbook
      Hi forum,

I've been interested in becoming a PA for years, and I think the window is narrowing (or expanding) for that to happen. I have two questions:

1) What are my chances of being accepted into a pa program?
      2) If I have a chance to become a PA, what are my concerns for starting school at 40

First, my history. I graduated in 2002 from undergrad with a comp. sci. degree. GPA of 2.4. I had always been interested in medicine, but didn't feel I had what it took to pursue it. For the next few years I retook a bunch of science classes (chem, bio, A&P) and got all A's except for one B. Then I went to grad school for biomedical engineering masters and got a 3.9 GPA. I've also worked in research for years: running EEGs, MRIs, working in the OR, etc. What are my chances of satisfying the admissions requirements?

When applying to grad schools in 2008, I had seriously considered PA school. But a series of factors made me choose biomed engineering instead... my undergrad GPA, we had a new baby and I was concerned about the time spent at school instead of home, the cost of PA school, and that I liked working in research. I've been working in research since undergrad, and I've loved it. I got to do a lot of clinical work without a clinical degree, because it was research: manning equipment in the operating room, performing EEGs and MRIs, doing patient histories. And I got to tech-stuff. But... as things happen, I've moved up the administrative ladder and no longer do anything clinical.

I'll turn 38 this summer. I have 3 kids ages 9,5,3. If I retake A&P, the soonest I could apply to schools is when I am 39/40 and start when I am 40. But I need to consider the cost and time requirement for 2 years of schooling. Would my wife be able to support us during that time, etc. Something more realistic is starting school at 45 to have a few years to save money and have the kids be more self-sufficient. What are the considerations for starting school at 40-45?

Thanks!
    • By erbenja
      I am racking my brain trying to devise a plan to get back to school. It is a weird predicament I am in it seems, but I can't imagine I am the only 40-something person with a Biology degree that wants to go back to school for a medical career. But here is the problem:

My degree (BSE in Biology) is 21 years old and therefore I have to retake the prereqs to get into a PA program. For the PA Program at UMKC it's 37 hours of prereqs in which I've had all but 9 hours. UMKC require they be 7 years old or less. 
      I have to be working towards a degree to receive financial aid. Taking prereqs is not working towards a degree.
      I cannot work towards another Biology degree because to be admitted to do that, the new degree has to have 30 hours of classes I have not already taken.
      Therefore I am not able to receive financial aid because my BSE in Biology was very thorough.
      I have gained a lot of experience the last 21 years, but I have not amassed a fortune that could help me pay for school. 
      So the question is, how do people in my situation pay to retake their prereqs for a medical career? The PA programs don't accept my classes because they are too old (I don't blame them, I do need to brush up on my Biology and Chemistry) but I cannot come back to take them because I already have a degree and can't declare a different Biology major because I've had almost all those classes before, therefore I cannot receive financial aid. 

Also, I have not decided on being a PA on a whim, I first decided in 1995 that I wanted to do it, but life took me on quite the journey to get to this spot. 

Any ideas? Feel free to forward this to anyone you think could help.

Thanks so much!
      Eric Benjamin
      feedyourmonkey@gmail.com
      adventuremonkey.com
    • By john5825
      I am 44 and have been a medical device professional (clinical, sales, marketing, market development) for 20+ years. I studied pre-med and biomedical engineering in undergraduate school and also received an MBA 10 years ago. I am ready for a career change and ready to make the leap into a new profession but I have to admit it is TERRIFYING to make such a big change.  

I'd be interested to email or phone other people who have been in my same situation to get perspective and advice.

Topics of concern:
      A) Do I need to retake ALL of the pre-requisite courses? Is there a way to get a pass on some based on work experience?
      B) Finances: I need to continue working full-time until I start school to pay off current debt and make ends meet once I start school. I have 3 kids under 9 and I am the primary financial support. How do I fit classes into the evening with a demanding job? How is it going to feel to invest ALOT of money and time into getting this degree and then take a significant pay cut (I am currently making $155,000 per year as a marketing manager)? Can financial aid help pay for living expenses if needed? Is it better to save money right now or to pay down debt? Will I receive less financial aid if I have money in the bank?   
      C) I have worked in medical devices with patients and physicians my whole career. I was in the field for 7 years with patient contact. ny comments on how this type of experience is viewed in the PA world?
      D) Are there a lot of other students in their 40s in PA school? What is the median age in most programs? I will be 46 if I get accepted in the next open admission cycle.

Thanks for the insight.

Susan Malaret
      Minneapolis MN

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More