I live in California but want to study out of state

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a few questions. I live in California but I'm thinking of going out of state  to study. I was told by someone that if I do, I would have to take another exam to practice in California, is this true? I also want to know if California PA's need to take a recertification exam like PANRE to continue practicing or they take CE courses  and then renew their licence. 

In order to be certified as a PA you have to take the initia exam (PANCE) and then the PANRE every 10 years, though a different pathway is being piloted for recertification.  

Im not aware of any state requiring an exam to practice as a PA, but I’d contact the governing body for PA’s in your state, likely the medical board, and ask them. 

You take the NCCPA exam (to become a PA-C; a nationally certified PA)...you then submit your license application and pay a fee in the State you'd like to practice as a PA. You won't need to take another exam to practice in said state BUT you have to recertify as a PA once your initial certification nears expiration (within 2 years from your initial then every 10 years after that) to maintain PA-C.

11 hours ago, Diggy said:

You take the NCCPA exam (to become a PA-C; a nationally certified PA)...you then submit your license application and pay a fee in the State you'd like to practice as a PA. You won't need to take another exam to practice in said state BUT you have to recertify as a PA once your initial certification nears expiration (within 2 years from your initial then every 10 years after that) to maintain PA-C.

This is incorrect.  There isn’t any recertification 2 years after initial certification.  Certification maintenance is every two years, this is logging 100 hours of CME 50 category 1, 50 category 2 in the NCCPA website and paying the NCCPA the maintenance fee). The certification exam (PANCE the first time and PANRE for recertification) is every 10 years.  

16 hours ago, MCHAD said:

This is incorrect.  There isn’t any recertification 2 years after initial certification.  Certification maintenance is every two years, this is logging 100 hours of CME 50 category 1, 50 category 2 in the NCCPA website and paying the NCCPA the maintenance fee). The certification exam (PANCE the first time and PANRE for recertification) is every 10 years.  

My bad, that's what I meant. Poor word of choice on my part.

Archived