Pursuit of PA

I am a baby OT ( 2 yrs old) with mostly acute care experience. I decided earlier this year to finish prereqs so that I can hopefully gain admission into a Physician Assistant Studies program. Are programs impressed with someone who has masters prepared clinical experience? I finished my Masters in OT with a 3.7 GPA. I know CASPA will not care about that but, I just wanted to know if it would strengthen my application. I plan to finish 3 additional courses in 2018 and apply during next year as well. I am also shadowing local PA's so that I can have observation hours. If anyone has any additional tips, please share.

Thanks,

PursuitofPA

Your experience and education as an occupational therapist will be valued by most PA programs. A 3.7 graduate GPA with 2+ years of high yield patient care experience should get you noticed at most programs you apply to. Your undergrad GPA will still be factored in of course, as will your GRE, LORs, and your personal statement. Shadowing is a good idea to make sure you can show that you understand what PAs do (and also, many programs prefer/require a PA letter of reference, in which case shadowing is a good way to network and potentially get one). You will be asked why you are making the switch to PA, so have a solid answer for that. Write a strong personal statement, as I think this is one of the most important factors in differentiating between multiple candidates who are all otherwise great applicants on paper. Obviously make sure you do well in any prerequisite courses you still have to complete. Finally, make sure you submit your applications early in the cycle (preferably by June or early July), which really increases your odds since it should get you in the earlier interview sessions.

You already have a really solid foundation for an application, so if you do this stuff I don't think you'll have any problems getting in somewhere. 

15 hours ago, ProSpectre said:

Your experience and education as an occupational therapist will be valued by most PA programs. A 3.7 graduate GPA with 2+ years of high yield patient care experience should get you noticed at most programs you apply to. Your undergrad GPA will still be factored in of course, as will your GRE, LORs, and your personal statement. Shadowing is a good idea to make sure you can show that you understand what PAs do (and also, many programs prefer/require a PA letter of reference, in which case shadowing is a good way to network and potentially get one). You will be asked why you are making the switch to PA, so have a solid answer for that. Write a strong personal statement, as I think this is one of the most important factors in differentiating between multiple candidates who are all otherwise great applicants on paper. Obviously make sure you do well in any prerequisite courses you still have to complete. Finally, make sure you submit your applications early in the cycle (preferably by June or early July), which really increases your odds since it should get you in the earlier interview sessions.

You already have a really solid foundation for an application, so if you do this stuff I don't think you'll have any problems getting in somewhere. 

Thanks so much for the insight. I am nervous but excited about this journey ahead! I will definitely keep your feedback regarding my personal statement in mind!

``

On 12/14/2017 at 10:49 PM, pursuitofPA said:

I am a baby OT ( 2 yrs old) with mostly acute care experience. I decided earlier this year to finish prereqs so that I can hopefully gain admission into a Physician Assistant Studies program. Are programs impressed with someone who has masters prepared clinical experience? I finished my Masters in OT with a 3.7 GPA. I know CASPA will not care about that but, I just wanted to know if it would strengthen my application. I plan to finish 3 additional courses in 2018 and apply during next year as well. I am also shadowing local PA's so that I can have observation hours. If anyone has any additional tips, please share.

Thanks,

PursuitofPA

Out of curiosity, why are you making the switch from OT to PA? More holistic care aspect of PA career?

• 1 month later...

How will my OT graduate coursework be factored in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Archived