Need to pay for application fee?

Hi guys, I am a recent graduate and just got hired as a contract worker as an ER PA. I am currently waiting for my credentialing and DEA license. I am trying to finish up my credentialing for this hospital but the hospital is asking me to pay $250 (non-refundable)  for an application fee. I find that very odd and it is a red flag to me but since this is my first job as a PA, I don't know if this is a normal process or not. Please give me some insight. Thank you.

From what I’ve seen, if you work for a practice, they seem to pay your fees. If you are a self-employed contract worker, you generally get no benefits and pay all fees. You are your own small business and your costs are subtracted from your earnings at tax time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This fee is for credentialing, correct? I've had to pay fee (usually ~$200) for credentialing for all of my positions, but I've only worked with large health systems. I once didn't include a check and waited to see if it would be included in the "missing items" list of my credentialing file... never was :-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

[mention=73751]UGoLong[/mention] I got hired with CEP America and they are contracted with this hospital that I will be working for. I assume that I am not self-employed. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
You're employed by CEP and will have privileges at the hospital(s) where you're working.

[mention=91167]mooko12[/mention]Yes this fee is for credentialing. So, this is a normal thing that everyone has to do?

I can only speak to my experience, but I would say a credentialing fee (aka application for privileges) is common practice. I know for sure it is a required item with CEP credentialing. Congrats on the new job! Credentialing anywhere usually takes forever. Being on top of the ball with your application and touching base with the credentialing team every so often will hopefully expedite the process to get you working (and earning $$) sooner.

[mention=73751]UGoLong[/mention] I got hired with CEP America and they are contracted with this hospital that I will be working for. I assume that I am not self-employed. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

If you work for CEP America, they should pay the application fee. They have marked up your labor to make a profit. Presumably, they are also giving you benefits too, like health insurance, though you are probably paying some of the costs as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived