rfinch

Taking Courses Beyond the Pre-reqs v. Accumulating HCE

Hey everyone,

The first half of the interview cycle for 2017-2018 is winding down, and I'm wondering how I can make myself a more competitive applicant during the next CASPA cycle on the off chance that I don't get accepted anywhere this year. I've already met the pre-reqs for my schools of interest, but I'm not sure whether or not I should continue to take additional upper division science courses or simply focus on acquiring more HCE and volunteer experience.

Currently, I have  3.98 GPA, a 4.0 science GPA, an MA in Cultural Anthropology, 600+ volunteer hours (many of which were overseas), and approximately 2300 HCE hours as an EMT. I've been waitlisted at 1 school and have yet to receive any additional interviews (most likely due to the fact that I didn't submit my apps until the end of August/mid-September).

During the next semester, I could enroll in O Chem II and Developmental Psych while working 36-48 hours per week and volunteering occasionally, however, this course of action would require that I take out additional student loans. On the other hand, I could simply acquire more HCE hours and volunteer at free clinics in my area. Any thoughts on which course of action would look better to PA school adcoms?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Your GPA is a no-brianer. I don't think there is a need to take any extra classes.

What is your GRE score?

Volunteer hours are good, but 2300 hours as EMT is good but still could use more.  

Were you able to read your LOR's?  There must be something holding you back with your stats, in case you are not accepted this cycle.  

With everything else being good, you should be okay just applying earlier and accruing more hours.  As always though, it is very tough as to what ADCOMs are looking for.  It almost seems random.

Thanks for the response. GRE score is Verbal Reasoning 164 Quant 151 Analytical Writing 4.5. Also, shadowing hours are only 50 at this point.

I wasn't able to read my LORs, but I have one from an MD, one from a PA, and two from former professors.

On paper you look good, obviously more paid HCE will impove your chances, but I’d critically analyze your interview skills.  Is there something you could do to improve your interview?  

Also, how many schools did you apply to?

23 minutes ago, MCHAD said:

On paper you look good, obviously more paid HCE will impove your chances, but I’d critically analyze your interview skills.  Is there something you could do to improve your interview?  

Also, how many schools did you apply to?

I feel like that's always true. I've actually gone through some mock interviews and been told that my interview skills are on point. I've also reviewed, peer-edited, and even revisited my essays, and while a bit of tweaking can always improve one's writing the feedback I've received has been really positive.

I applied to 6 programs: Duke, Emory, Touro California, Samuel Merritt, USC, and CUNY. I was wait-listed at Emory during their last interview session, and there was some pretty steep competition. Plus, due to an administrative snafu on their end I didn't know about the interview until a few days beforehand. Hopefully, with that in mind my next few interviews will be much more successful. Both USC and Duke are in the process of scheduling their final interviews during January over the next 2-3 weeks. My other programs are either just starting to schedule interviews, somewhere in the middle of their cycle, or haven't even begun evaluating candidates.

I still have a chance at some of these places, but I want to have a plan in place so that I'm actively working towards improving myself in the best way possible for next cycle just in case. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By sacharle
      There is an awesome organization called ThePAC (Physician Assistants of Color) that holds diversity events in multiple cities across the U.S. The next one will be in Detroit, Michigan on September 28, 2019. The event is a great opportunity for all three levels of the profession! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357
      Pre-PAs get to talk directly to program directors from the local/surrounding region (this event will have 7), and get specific advice about their application profile from programs directly as well as experienced PA students and PA-Cs. 
      PA-S  and PA-C get to fraternize and network with each other as well as tap into resources such as job recruiters, financial advisors, and transition to practice information. 
      There are always lots of giveaways such as medical equipment, PANCE/PANRE prep, discounts on scrub companies, and more. 
      This event is open to any and everyone no matter the race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. 
      If you cannot attend this event, give them a follow on IG @thepa.c or FB 'Physician Assistants of Color' so you can get notified of when the next event/location will be. 

• By sunnypits
      I'm starting at a community college. The community college  has a  general biology as a transfer Is this the same as just biology? They have chemistry too. 
    • By AhuvaGross21
      Hi guys!
      I recently graduated and I am working on my CASPA application. I am super nervous about my personal statement.
      I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some tips/ pointers on how to format it, what to include, and what to omit.
      I frequently second guess myself, so any opinions would be helpful.
      I really appreciate any help.
      Send me a pm if possible! 
      Thank you,
      Ahuva
    • By Emw2153
      Hello, 
       So I need some advice. My top school is Cuny Sophie Davis but I cant decide if I should be a teaching assistant for chemistry this fall or should i try to volunteer/network at Harlem hospital for the 2 months before I submit my application end of October or should I try to do both??? Is volunteering for 2 months even worth it?
      For some context this fall I will be taking 3 classes, working one day a week from 9a-7p as a medical assistant in the same primary care office I have been working in for the past 1.5 years and now possibly either being a TA or volunteering in a hospital. 
      Would either of these choices beef up my chances/ make me stand out? Will being a chemistry TA not help that much and just be a waste of my time?
      Should I just continue with my current volunteer position (read below)?
      I only have the pre reqs to apply to 2 schools this fall so anything to help would be VERY APPRECIATED. I need help on focusing my time in the crunch hours. 
      Currently I have about 18 hours of volunteering at a speech pathology center leading a reading group for people with speech aphasia, helping them build their confidence and as a mode of therapy. 
      My Stats
      GPA 3.42 undergrad  BA in psychology at a well known woman’s college-ivy leage
      Post bacc GPA (11 classes and all the science prerequisites) - 4.00
      2500 hours as medical assistant in a multispecialty primary care
      30 hours shadowing an ortho PA, Derm PA, and urgent care PA
      Had a full time job for 3 years in business before deciding to become a PA
      presidential scholar at CUNY

• By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More