Gre vs. Gpa

Hey all... I tried doing multiple searches for this topic but all my search combinations came back as being too general. I went to a meeting last night at my university where a representative from a test prep company was talking about how important the GRE, MCAT, and other entrance exams were for getting into professional school. One of his points he emphasized was that schools look at test scores more than a GPA. He stated that schools understand one may have a rough semester or two. That sometimes a poor grade really is due to the professor and his style/grading.

Does anyone know if this is true? I know GPA is very important and helps to give an overall picture of an academic career. Part of what he said really made sense, but I have this "hesitation" at believing a good test score will trump an average GPA. Maybe this just comes from the fact that his job is to sell me on the test preparation program. Is anyone able to shed some light on the situation? All the posts and information give a breakdown on stats but I'm having trouble finding "weight" of various stats. I suppose it may vary per school as well.

(Did all this research on a tablet, so I apologize if I missed a sticky or post)

Hey all... I tried doing multiple searches for this topic but all my search combinations came back as being too general. I went to a meeting last night at my university where a representative from a test prep company was talking about how important the GRE, MCAT, and other entrance exams were for getting into professional school. One of his points he emphasized was that schools look at test scores more than a GPA.

Of course he would say that or else he'd be out of a job. As you can see from my stats below, my GRE was definitely not competitive.

Applicant stats--Accepted

Undergrad Ed School: University of Oklahoma; BS in Radiation Therapy

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.65

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.60

Age at application time : 28

1st GRE: 960; 540 Quantitative, 420 Verbal

Health care experience/Direct Patient Care : (type & hours)

Full Time Radiation Therapist - 5yrs (10,400 hrs)

PA Shadowing : (type & hours)

Orthopedic PA - 18hrs

Orthopedic Oncology PA - 8hrs

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

Big Brother/Big Sister Mentor ( 1 year)

Poker4Haiti (Tournament Director/event planner)

Poker4Japan (Tournament Director/event planner)

Schools Applied: University of Texas Southwestern (Dallas, TX), Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX), University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (Oklahoma City, OK), & University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (Tulsa, OK).

Application Submitted Date: submitted May 12 to CASPA, still working on Oklahoma applications and Baylor's supplemental application.

Schools Received Application Date: June 18th

Interview Invites: Received interview invite letter from UT Southwestern late July and University of Oklahoma in November. Interview for UT Southwestern was September 24th.

Denied: N/A

Withdrew Application: Withdrawn from Baylor and University of Oklahoma.

Waitlisted: N/A

Accepted: September 28th to UT Southwestern (1st Choice)

Attempts: first

I've heard that some schools don't require GRE because they don't think it's indicative of a student's performance in PA school. But if you have a low GPA, make sure you take it the GRE and kill it. I had a low GPA and I really think my GRE score helped get me acceptances. Use the test to your advantage.

I haven't been accepted anywhere, so take my comment with a grain of salt, but I agree with atmu. I think it's possible that a school might be okay with a lower GPA if you killed the GRE. Personally, though, I don't think the GRE shows much of anything besides that you paid money and went in to take the test. Still hoping schools see it differently though, since my GPA is so-so and my GRE is pretty good.

I personally think the GRE is one of the biggest scams in secondary education, and can't believe that (m)any schools would place more faith in a high score from a single test that really has nothing to do with grad school than an entire academic career's GPA.

I'd study a bit for the GRE and do the best possible, but it's not worth losing sleep over.

I personally think the GRE is one of the biggest scams in secondary education, and can't believe that (m)any schools would place more faith in a high score from a single test that really has nothing to do with grad school than an entire academic career's GPA.

I thought I was the only one who thought this... If you have $3000 to take some sort of Kaplan prep-course (which I didn't) and it can get you a higher score, I conclude that there is NO WAY it is accurately indictative of how well you will do in grad school... It just shows you can buy your way to a higher score...

Nicole - I don't think my stats mean much considering I haven't applied/been accepted yet. You'd be better off looking at the Applicant Stats thread where people that have been accepted post their stats (particularly if you search for the schools you're planning on applying to). Don't forget that HCE is a huge part of your application, and most schools look at the "whole package" when determining who to accept.

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/139-Pre-PA-General-Discussion

The GRE is not more important but it can hold more or less weight based on your GPA. A high GRE score can help out a lower GPA and on the flip side, you only need an average GRE score if you have a high GPA. The GRE score is not really a deal breaker as long as it's not terribly low but it can help people out in some cases.

The GRE is not more important but it can hold more or less weight based on your GPA. A high GRE score can help out a lower GPA and on the flip side, you only need an average GRE score if you have a high GPA. The GRE score is not really a deal breaker as long as it's not terribly low but it can help people out in some cases.

i agree. i did fairly well on the GRE, but my GPA was probably below average for my class. i think it definitely helped me get into PA school.

Hey all... I tried doing multiple searches for this topic but all my search combinations came back as being too general. I went to a meeting last night at my university where a representative from a test prep company was talking about how important the GRE, MCAT, and other entrance exams were for getting into professional school. One of his points he emphasized was that schools look at test scores more than a GPA. He stated that schools understand one may have a rough semester or two. That sometimes a poor grade really is due to the professor and his style/grading.

Does anyone know if this is true? I know GPA is very important and helps to give an overall picture of an academic career. Part of what he said really made sense, but I have this "hesitation" at believing a good test score will trump an average GPA. Maybe this just comes from the fact that his job is to sell me on the test preparation program. Is anyone able to shed some light on the situation? All the posts and information give a breakdown on stats but I'm having trouble finding "weight" of various stats. I suppose it may vary per school as well.

(Did all this research on a tablet, so I apologize if I missed a sticky or post)

One thing to consider is that he may be speaking more about the other professional school tests. MCAT, DAT, PCAT, etc scores tend to get weighed heavier for their respective programs (according to my classmates who are taking those and applying to those schools, and our advisors). My experience with the review companies is that they don't totally understand the applicaiton process for PA school so they lump our process in with the others.

As others have said, doesn't seem to make or break, but it can help/hurt some depending on the situation.

I'm glad we got some good conversation going. I was pretty much thinking the same things as most of you. I tend to see both sides of the situation. I agree that it was his job to sell me something and that makes me question his facts (in a good way. Nothing against salesman) But I can also see how it may help with a lower or average GPA.

Personally, my GPA isn't horrible, but it's not perfect either. Judging from everyone's thoughts and comments I think I'll save my money and study for it on my own. I can put that test prep money towards a few more applications.

Just to put in my 2 cents, I did the Kaplan "in-person" GRE class and that, combined with the amazing online materials, took my score from ~1100 to a 1410. That said, it would appear that GPA is given significantly more weight, and a high score isn't necessarily a huge plus. It seems that it would make for a good tipping point, but based on what I've heard and seen, it probably won't make or break your application.

Archived