Transition to Rural Health?

Hi gang,

I have been working in Urgent Care for the previous year, prior to that I worked in surgery for almost 4 years; all in Baltimore City. I am interested in transitioning to a rural health clinic in Mariposa, California (just outside Yosemite). I am interested in Primary Care because I want to build relationships with patients over time and feel like I have the ability to make more of an impact on their lives. Plus the setup of my current job does not allow for much interaction with other clinicians and I am looking for a more collaborative work environment. Lastly, this position would allow me to pay off my student loans quickly since their HSPA score is relatively high (16).

I have already spoken to the group on the phone and really liked them. I'm going out there next week for an in person interview. 

Anyone else have experience working in this type of clinic, making this type of transition, or working in this area? I am hoping for any thoughts or feedback and appreciate any help you can offer as I make this choice. 

Anything I must ask or look into while I am out there? I want to ensure I maximize this opportunity and get as much information as possible.

Thanks so much for your help!

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Corpsman2PA said:

Boy you sure got a lot of replies to this one!

How did the visit go? Are you out here in California now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAHA!!! I work in a RHC with HSPA of 18, submitting my application to NHSC this week! Yes, please update us on your progress. 

Archived