Sign in to follow this  
pacentur

Can PA's own their own clinic/practice?

Hello so first off, I'm a senior in high school interested in the health field, and looking mainly at the physician assistant profession. Currently, I don't seem to have the drive to go through 4 years of med school + and many more years of residency. I would also hate to pay off all the debt as well. I want to finish school early, less debt, start a family, and then possibly start a business. However, I heard that PA's have a hard time starting their own clinic and they must have a MD with them all times, is that true? The main reason to start my own clinic is because I want to be a little more independent from a MD, and I like business also. Which states allow me to practice independently? I'm from New York. Now how will I make money? Will I have to pay the doctor more money than me, if my business becomes successful? 

yes, this can be done. no this is not something you do as a new grad. laws vary by state. In many, the doc never needs to set foot in your clinic. in some they have to be there 4 hrs/week.

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2017 at 7:23 PM, pacentur said:

Which states allow me to practice independently?

Although the scope of practice for PA's is state dependent and rapidly evolving, PA's are dependent practitioners by definition. Have you considered the NP route? NP's are independent practitioners. Not to dissuade you from the PA profession, but if you truly want to practice independently, becoming an NP may be better suited for you.

Side note: I think it's great that you're in high school and already thinking this far ahead. I'm sure a lot of us on this forum wish we'd had a little more foresight in our teenage years. :) 

• Upvote 1

I owned my own practice for 8 years and simply hired a physician to be my Medical Director. You don't have to be a NP to do this. By the time you get through PA school, PAs are likely to have Full Practice Authority anyhow, and won't need to work under the license of a supervising physician.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Mandrew1

On the brink of starting my own practice...I'm doing research on the average incentive pay to a Supervising Physician to work soley as a "Medical director".  Did you mind sharing you structure? 

Thank you!