Sign in to follow this  
rusalochkaa

High GPA/Low HCE

I am currently a stressed out pre-pa sophomore in college. I have just started acquiring hours these past few months and I should have about 50 by the end of the year. I know that's not a lot at all, but I am very busy with school. I am going to be taking 18 credit hours next spring and then more classes next summer. 

I've completed almost half of the pre-reqs for pa school and I have a 4.0 gpa so far. Will my grades make up for my lack of experience?

I know that I have more time to work on getting hce/pce but I can only volunteer for a limited number of hours each week and the volunteer jobs count for hce but not for pce. I know that getting a job is the best way to acquire hours but I just don't have the time. I think I may have 500-700 hours by the time I start applying. Thankfully, the schools near me don't require experience, they say it's recommended. 

Have there been success stories of getting accepted into pa school with less than average hce/pce? 

From what I have seen, you can have a 4.0 GPA and get out competed by someone with a GPA of 3.2 with the appropriate PCE hours for the school.  I say this as someone with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.1ish sGPA and heard about some students with 3.9 and 4.0 rejected from the school I was accepted to the same year.  You are only a sophomore and have a ton of time.  Also, depending on the school you go to, you can work full time school and full time school work, I did this to improve my grades over the past year and to get the HCE.  Also volunteered at the VA, but that was for fun.  

You could join a scribe company and work very small hours and get some HCE.  But, you would also consider PCE hour types, scribing is considered at some schools, but this is all ranked.  An EMT definitely has "better" HCE than a scribe.  To the main question, I am sure there are some schools that might accept students with minimal HCE hours.  Check this page out...

21 hours ago, panglossian said:

What is your rush to apply to PA school right out of college? A gap year could do you good (and help you gain PCE without the stress of schoolwork).

I’ll graduate with loans, so a job that pays close to minimum wage as a tech isn’t going to work out very well. I will do whatever I have to do to get in though, but I don’t know about the money situation. 

I just finished my first semester of PA school and applied with a 3.9 GPA and about 650 hours. I got 8 interviews, went to 4 of them, and was accepted to 3! The key is to really focus on schools with lower healthcare requirements that will really value your academic achievements. Keep doing your thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Look into degree options that actually give you a job in HCE right away like respiratory therapist, lab tech, nurse, etc. You will get to make good money and build up high quality HCE. Plus if you don't get into PA school you will actually have a career. 

• Upvote 2

Everyone applies with a unique situation so I can't say for sure it will work out the same for you, but I just want to add my two cents because this forum scared me a lot before I applied. I had 1000 scribe hours and thought I would get no interviews because that barely meets the minimum for some schools I applied and people always talk about how scribe hours aren't worth anything. I picked schools that I knew accepted my quality/quantity of experience and I received 11 interview invitations - I attended 5 interviews, accepted to 3, waiting to hear back from 1, and on a waitlist at the other. I took classes part time while scribing part time for a year, but some of my co-workers had another part time job that paid better to pay the bills. I waited until I had 1000 hours to apply so I could add schools to my list, but for the ones with lower requirements I don't think it was the extra 300 hours that made the difference. I have a 3.8-3.9 GPA, was involved in a bunch of different organizations/jobs in undergrad, and I wrote a killer personal statement - which I think were pretty important in getting my foot in the door for an interview. There are definitely schools out there that value how hard it is to maintain a high GPA so don't count yourself out necessarily.

My only other thought is that some of my co-workers are per-diem and work like 4 shifts a month while taking full time classes. That might be harder to find but it's not impossible.

• Upvote 3

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, taraPA said:

Everyone applies with a unique situation so I can't say for sure it will work out the same for you, but I just want to add my two cents because this forum scared me a lot before I applied. I had 1000 scribe hours and thought I would get no interviews because that barely meets the minimum for some schools I applied and people always talk about how scribe hours aren't worth anything. I picked schools that I knew accepted my quality/quantity of experience and I received 11 interview invitations - I attended 5 interviews, accepted to 3, waiting to hear back from 1, and on a waitlist at the other. I took classes part time while scribing part time for a year, but some of my co-workers had another part time job that paid better to pay the bills. I waited until I had 1000 hours to apply so I could add schools to my list, but for the ones with lower requirements I don't think it was the extra 300 hours that made the difference. I have a 3.8-3.9 GPA, was involved in a bunch of different organizations/jobs in undergrad, and I wrote a killer personal statement - which I think were pretty important in getting my foot in the door for an interview. There are definitely schools out there that value how hard it is to maintain a high GPA so don't count yourself out necessarily.

My only other thought is that some of my co-workers are per-diem and work like 4 shifts a month while taking full time classes. That might be harder to find but it's not impossible.

We have very similar stats! I received straight As in my prerequisites (one more left) and I am an ER scribe. I did really well in undergrad and finished with a ~3.77. This included rigorous mathematic courses like Calculus 3, which I also earned As in. I received the same feedback when I would tell others that I am a medical scribe. I'm applying this summer, so I hope my outcome is just as positive :)

• Upvote 1