LOR mentioned physician and not PA

Tab bit freaking out. To make the story short, I'm in the process of applying to PA school and have submitted my CASPA. Ran into one of my professors yesterday who wrote me a LOR and she stated that in my letter she mentioned "I would make a great physician" etc. Uhhhh the only bad thing about that is I'm applying to PA school and NOT medical school!!!!

How will this look? I have a CGPA 3.44 SGPA 3.33 average GRE, and 8,000 hrs as a nurse...my other letters from my supervisor and PA that I shadowed are fine but I'm really worried as to how ADCOM is going to view this. Please tell me that this isn't going to be a app killer for me. I'm an average applicant as it is..

Here's the thing. It sucks and it is embarrassing, but it is NOT a make or break thing. There are three things the interviewers might think - 1) that the writer of the letter does not know you very well or 2) the writer made a total "brain fart" as we all do from time to time. This should not reflect poorly on YOU, especially if she raved about you. I know it makes you cringe, but there will be plenty of cringe worthy moments in your career. Try to smile and move on from it. It's one of many ridiculous moments in life!

19 minutes ago, pitou said:

Thanks for your input. I literally am losing sleep over this because I've put in so much time and effort up until this point and to be killed off because my letter writer doesn't know the different between PA and Physician is just too much right now.

I think you can delete LoRs from your application. In a competitive pool, this could be a factor, though it is hard to be sure. Maybe if it really worries you, it would be best to get a new recommender and just delete this one?

4 hours ago, pitou said:

Tab bit freaking out. To make the story short, I'm in the process of applying to PA school and have submitted my CASPA. Ran into one of my professors yesterday who wrote me a LOR and she stated that in my letter she mentioned "I would make a great physician" etc. Uhhhh the only bad thing about that is I'm applying to PA school and NOT medical school!!!!

How will this look? I have a CGPA 3.44 SGPA 3.33 average GRE, and 8,000 hrs as a nurse...my other letters from my supervisor and PA that I shadowed are fine but I'm really worried as to how ADCOM is going to view this. Please tell me that this isn't going to be a app killer for me. I'm an average applicant as it is..

I don't think this would be an app killer for you at all. I think what matters the most is what comes from YOU. As long as you have a personal statement that speaks well about why PA is the route for you and shows that you know the profession, I would think the admission committee would understand that it is an error. 

If you have more LORs to ask for, I would recommend saying to the person that you need one for PA school, not physician assistant school. That way the person writing your letter doesn't even hear/read the word physician and doesn't get confused :) 

Don't lose your sleep over this, you should be good :)

Good luck! 

PA's and Physicians work in very similar capacities and often do the same things. Great clinicians possess similar virtues regardless of their post-nominal letters. To say you'd make a great Physician, in my eyes, also means you'd make a great PA. Don't lose sleep over this one goof up. Also, who knows what they actually wrote, a lot of these professors write dozens of this  year and she very well could have put down PA on the actual letter while writing it.  

Turn the page on this. If it’s a vanilla letter, it won’t make a difference either way. If it’s a very personal letter with great insight into who you are, the “physician” language will likely be overlooked.

Breathe, smile, and wait to see what happens next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/6/2017 at 11:42 PM, RaffAlbano said:

I don’t think that little mistake is a make or break. As for the overall picture, why not just apply to NP school if you’re already a nurse? It seems like less hassle, and less risky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I don't respect their curriculum. I literally refuse to spend any more money on nursing theory classes, I don't believe it in. My co-workers who are currently in NP school are absolutely regretting their decision and don't feel comfortable in their education and knowledge.

I like PA school because I believe in a solid curriculum with thorough medical training. 

I'm also an LVN, so I don't have a BS in nursing, I have a diploma. I went back to school and have a BS in Physical Chemistry. 

I was truly concern about the letter from this professor because she was my research advisor for the past three years and I have 2 publish work as first and second author, so it's really important to me. I can't delete the letter because she's away on sabbatical in some remote area of the Philippines...so I can't count on the fact that she can edit it out and upload a new one.

Oh, well...like you all said, I can't change it. I'm just gonna have to move on and hope for the best.

Archived