Punitive Action Against License

I made an egregious error in judgement. My ACLS and BLS were set to expire. I showed up to the class to be told that they never received my paperwork. Instead of telling my supervisor I forged the cards. I rescheduled the classes but my employer found out and fired me. I have been a PA for almost a decade to and have never had an issue with my license. Clearly I know how stupid this was. My employer would have suspended me if the class wasn't taken in a timely manner. I was dealing with a recent miscarriage and made an incredibly poor decision. I was told that I would be reported to the board so I self reported to try and explain myself. I have to appear before the medical board in six weeks. I have just retained a lawyer and I am terrified. Has anyone else have had a reprimand or suspension on their license? We're you able to practice afterward? 

Thank you for any information you can provide. Please keep the snide remarks to a minimum, I'm having daily panic attacks as it is.

My street smarts opinion....they may put you on probation or fine you perhaps.  I can't see forging a BLS card as a cause to have your license revoked.  Have you since renewed your cards?  It was a poor decision and you're owning it.  Hopefully, you don't get a permanent mark on your record. 

I think self reporting to the board was a good idea.  I think hiring a lawyer to represent you was an even better idea.  You made a poor choice and are owning it.  Good on you for that.  I couldn't help but think as I was reading what you did and why, that the pressures of what we do sometimes seems  to make us all do weird shit.  I'm not excusing it, but I don't think you will find many providers here that will condemn you.  We all face little moral tests every day........Abdomen:  Non-distended and NTTP.......Yea right.

wow

forged is really really bad

Lawyer (and a good one at that) and defend your license.

I do not suspect you will be rehired - but you can make it a learning lesson....  Try like mad to get them to have to hire you - that is the quickest path to reemployment.   (and be crazy apologetic as that was just an incredibly unprofessional thing to have done)

If you were not a great employee I suspect you will have a big fight on your hands to get your license back.....

No judgement here.

As Cideous said we all face little tests of honesty every day. Documenting an exam you didnt do, fibbing the subjective a bit to meet your A/P, cheating on CMEs, calling in 'sick'...any number of things can be tempting depending on your spot in life and the pressure you are under on a given day.

Really at this point you are at the mercy of the medical board. You'll certainly be admonished, maybe put on probation. One thing I would do is take full 100% ownership of that decision. Dont use specific life events as excuses because to them that will look like you are not accountable and may do it again under duress.

I would just say you have always been an ethical provider; you were under some personal strain and made a bad decision. You immediately realized the significance of your error but by that time the cat was out of the bag, so to speak. If I was on the board I would take ownership and contrition over an excuse and apology any day.

19 hours ago, dizzyjon said:

I can't see forging a BLS card as a cause to have your license revoked.  Have you since renewed your cards?  It was a poor decision and you're owning it.  Hopefully, you don't get a permanent mark on your record. 

On the other side of the coin, the retired Army guy in me says that forging a document required to maintain employment was certainly an offence (read - crime) under the National Defence Act and likely is in the US under the UCMJ - seen more than a few wankers in the past few years that forged PT Tests required for promotion or wore gongs not entitled to, that got caught...they went to Court Martial for those, publically disgraced, fined, reduced in rank and eventually received an unlubricated combat boot PR as 4th and long (3rd and long here).  I'm willing to bet the State Board/College of Physicians and Surgeons might take a dim view to that as well - if the person forged a BLS/ACLS card, regardless of motive, what other things might they have forged or be willing to forge at a later date (Rx's, insurance forms, etc), especially if you're using stress as the fall back.  Forging something like that is tantamount to lying on an application...you need this to retain privileges, you lied, you got caught...not to mention you forged the document, itself a potential offence, and I'm sure Heart and Stroke wouldn't be too happy to hear that now their documents have been devalued, have to come up with new ones, etc - potential for civil action there as well.  

To the OP, I'd get you and your lawyer to sit down and scour ALL your State Medical Board Bylaws, but especially those regarding credentialing, lying/telling untruths on applications, implications of such, etc.  They may or may not have something there, as well as what they consider to be good and poor judgement, etc.  Owning up to things is great, even if you did it because/when you got caught - though, Devil's advocate here, owning up after getting caught, while admirable, is still owning up after (read because of) getting caught, vice coming out and saying "Boss, I did something really f*&king stupid..." before they found out.  You're going to have to prove to them without a doubt that your judgement was impaired at the time, but more importantly, that's it's now no longer so - after having seen the odd witch hunt in the past, they'll want their crystal balls to be clear as daylight regarding your future ability to provide medical care to people, because at the end of the day, all they really care about are public safety and clean backsides.

$0.02 (CDN)

SK

i guess I would just counter by saying, you can NOT go back in time.  You are remorseful, so when you appear before the board, be remorseful.  I also disagree with not having your lawyer bringing up the miscarriage.  Those kind of traumatic events can really alter brain chemistry and lower the threshold to making poor decisions.  It happens all the time with post-P-depression. I get why some here might be hard on you. but I don't believe it's the end of your career and this is not the United States Military.  This will pass, and you will come out on the other side strong.  Hang in there!

Meh, not sure what the board will say.  Wrong move?  Yes.  Should you be hung, drawn, and quartered?  Negative.  Honestly though, whether you are seeing it or not (and I am not saying you are not) it boils down to integrity.  Do I want someone on my team who is willing to forge a document, rather than explain why they missed the deadline?  "Boss, I showed up at the class, and they told me they didn't receive my registration.  I am in the process of remedying the situation." versus "I figured I could get one over on you and well, you caught me."

That being said, Ral's argument:  "Ma'am, I'm sorry we couldn't save your husband.  I saw him collapse, and ran to him right away but, just as I was placing my hands on top of his sternum, I realized my BLS card had expired and completely forgot what I was supposed to do."

Certifications/Recertifications are important for three reasons:

1. To INITIALLY prove you have acquired the knowledge and skills.

2. To prove that you are aware of changes associated with NEW methods or NEW thinking on a particular matter, that can't be proven by other means such as reading, working for a living, or living outside of a cave.  (Yes, that means 'nothing new, nothing needed' to me.)

3. To line the pockets of people or groups who have personally expended ZERO dollars of their own money, to bring new information to the table.

Archived