An article quoted me as a Doctor

I recently helped to open a start up wellness clinic. I am the Medical Director of this new location, but not the entire franchise. An online magazine came and did a very brief interview with all of the staff. It was poorly written, and I'm fairly sure I did not say the quote they attributed to me. Besides that, my biggest concern is that they called me Doctor Lucas.  I never introduced myself as such and neither did any of my staff.  Do I need to reach out to the magazine and have them correct/redact?

Any advice is appreciated.

I've had this same thing happen to me at least twice. I was recently interviewed by the local newspaper. I went over and over with the reporter not to call me doctor and not to call me a physician's assistant. She thought I was paranoid but happens all the time. Maybe you can get them to print a correction (which I was unable to do in the past accounts, but allowed me to write a letter to the editor, which no one reads, after a local doctor complained that I was presenting myself as a doctor in the newspaper, which I never did).

2 minutes ago, jmj11 said:

I've had this same thing happen to me at least twice. I was recently interviewed by the local newspaper. I went over and over with the report not to call me doctor and not to call me a physician's assistant. She thought I was paranoid but happens all the time. Maybe you can get them to print a correction (which I was unable to do in the past accounts, but allowed me to write a letter to the editor, which no one reads, after a local doctor complained that I was presenting myself as a doctor in the newspaper, which I never did).

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I also know that no one reads the corrections, so either way someone can misinterpret my intentions.

When I was hired at my family med job, the local rag printed an article that had me mortified I'd lose my license before I even started work - I notified the health region, who initiated the original press release, who had the paper print a huge retraction/correction.

SK

22 minutes ago, sk732 said:

When I was hired at my family med job, the local rag printed an article that had me mortified I'd lose my license before I even started work - I notified the health region, who initiated the original press release, who had the paper print a huge retraction/correction.

SK

So.. maybe contact the Nevada Board of Medicine?

3 hours ago, blucaspa said:

So.. maybe contact the Nevada Board of Medicine?

I’d let them know, i used to practice in Nevada and if I recall misrepresenting yourself as a physician can get a PA in trouble with the board.  In this situation even though it wasn’t your fault I’d be proactive about it and call and ask them what you should do to avoid any trouble.

When I opened my practice the local newspaper misquoted me and might have called me doctor....

I sent in a correction letter immediately and they ran is soon there after.

I took a little bit of heat for it from locals, but that is the press for you, and I always pointed out the correction.

1 hour ago, MCHAD said:

I’d let them know, i used to practice in Nevada and if I recall misrepresenting yourself as a physician can get a PA in trouble with the board.  In this situation even though it wasn’t your fault I’d be proactive about it and call and ask them what you should do to avoid any trouble.

I emailed them this afternoon. I'll keep everyone updated on what they say.  Thanks for all the excellent input!

Archived