Expiring Prerequisites/Discrimination Against Older Applicants

I've always had the mindset that it is never too late to go back to school and further your education. After beginning the PA school application process, I am beginning to realize how wrong I was to think that. I honestly had no idea that prerequisite courses could expire, and the concept seems completely absurd to me. I am 31 years old and graduated with a degree in medical technology in 2010 (3.93 GPA) and have had many different jobs as an ASCP-certified medical technologist since, including many direct patient care hours performing phlebotomy. I took some prerequisite courses last spring and am currently taking a few more- I still love school and am still the excellent student I was as an undergraduate. As a medical laboratory scientist I am required to acquire continuing education credits and much of my undergraduate science coursework is constantly reinforced. However, I took general chemistry as a senior in high school (2004/2005), and took my organic chemistry courses in 2007/2008. I loved chemistry, got A's in all the courses no problem. But it's been 10 years, and now I'm being told that I need to re-take courses I aced. One program even told me I needed to retake introductory microbiology. Hello, I am a medical technologist - microbiology (beyond the introductory level) is part of my everyday job. I feel like I am at an enormous disadvantage because I graduated so long ago, which is something I was not expecting. I was not expecting programs to discriminate against older students with more experience just because they graduated more than 10 years ago, because that has nothing to do with their ability to handle PA school and become an excellent PA. 

What programs out there have an open mind in this regard and do not have set expiration dates for prerequisite courses? I cannot spend another year and more money retaking courses I already took and got A's in. I cannot be the only one in this frustrating position and I need any advice I can get. Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

I hit similar problems in applying, though because my degree (from 2008) was in a non-science field, I ended taking a lot more prereqs that I simply hadn't taken before. I ended up applying and getting in to Midwestern, and they did not have a problem counting my English and Math credits from 2004-5. Looking back at their website, they don't specify an expiration date for any of their prereqs.

With your background (particularly your strong science GPA and HCE), you sound like you're be in a great position to apply, but might need to reach out to programs directly to make sure they'll count the older credits. Unfortunately it seems a lot of the initial steps in the process involves programs weeding out applications based on hard and fast criteria, so if a program says they want the prereqs within a set period of time, it will be hard to get your foot in the door at those schools.

• Like 1

I understand your frustration as I am older than you and got my first degree in 2000. Schools have their own reasons for putting expiration dates on prerequisites and I'm sure they all vary. There's one school I'm interested in for which I would have to retake a statistics class. I got an A in it the first time around and I honestly can't imagine I'm going to do any better in PA school with a more recent statistics class. 

Check out Sullivan University in Louisville Kentucky. It's a newer program, but I don't think it has an expiration on prerequisites as of now. 

2 hours ago, mitteh71 said:

I've always had the mindset that it is never too late to go back to school and further your education. After beginning the PA school application process, I am beginning to realize how wrong I was to think that. I honestly had no idea that prerequisite courses could expire, and the concept seems completely absurd to me. I am 31 years old and graduated with a degree in medical technology in 2010 (3.93 GPA) and have had many different jobs as an ASCP-certified medical technologist since, including many direct patient care hours performing phlebotomy. I took some prerequisite courses last spring and am currently taking a few more- I still love school and am still the excellent student I was as an undergraduate. As a medical laboratory scientist I am required to acquire continuing education credits and much of my undergraduate science coursework is constantly reinforced. However, I took general chemistry as a senior in high school (2004/2005), and took my organic chemistry courses in 2007/2008. I loved chemistry, got A's in all the courses no problem. But it's been 10 years, and now I'm being told that I need to re-take courses I aced. One program even told me I needed to retake introductory microbiology. Hello, I am a medical technologist - microbiology (beyond the introductory level) is part of my everyday job. I feel like I am at an enormous disadvantage because I graduated so long ago, which is something I was not expecting. I was not expecting programs to discriminate against older students with more experience just because they graduated more than 10 years ago, because that has nothing to do with their ability to handle PA school and become an excellent PA. 

What programs out their have an open mind in this regard and do not have set expiration dates for prerequisite courses? I cannot spend another year and more money retaking courses I already took and got A's in. I cannot be the only one in this frustrating position and I need any advice I can get. Thank you!

Where are you looking to apply. North Greenville University has "recommended" 5-7 year prerequisites but people in my class had some that were way longer than that. 

The expiration of prerequisite courses can definitely be a pain, but it doesn't apply to every school. There are many schools that have a waiver process if you worked in a field where the coursework was commonly used (as in microbiology for you). There are also many programs that don't have an expiration date for courses (though they may recommend that you retake older courses simply to refresh the material before beginning PA school). This is where you will have to do a lot of research (i.e. visit PA program websites, and look through their FAQ and admissions pages) to see which schools don't have a time limit. I don't think it is so much of an age discrimination thing (I'm 31 as well) as it is schools wanting their students to be ready to hit the ground running with graduate level science coursework, which is much easier if the prerequisite work is fresh in your mind. 

• Upvote 1

In general, I found that programs who accept applicants with higher amounts of patient care hours, tend to have longer expiration or do not have prereq expiration requirements since they know they are accepting a different applicant pool. That is just a general rule but as stated above, it takes some digging around through program websites. 

It would also never hurt to get in touch with admissions at your prospective programs and try to talk with them about this issue.

• Upvote 1

I had to smile when I read that a 2010 graduate says "I've always had the mindset that it is never too late to go back to school and further your education."

In my case, I finished my prerequisites 36 years after getting my BS. Along the way, I had to repeat chemistry (still with reduction and oxidation reactions), statistics (no new math), and introductory psych (Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs were indeed alive and well). The newer classes (I was an engineering undergrad without biology, etc) took some effort, but the three I had to repeat were relatively easy and -- like most of my classes -- were taken at a local community college. 

Programs have their own requirements (especially as to "out-of-date" science courses); find ones that best match your background. On the other hand, to break into any new field, you are going to have to pay a price. Be ready for that and don't waste energy cursing the darkness.

No: it's never to late to go back to school and further your education.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

I finished my prerequisites 36 years after getting my BS. Along the way, I had to repeat chemistry (still with reduction and oxidation reactions), statistics (no new math), and introductory psych (Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs were indeed alive and well). The newer classes (I was an engineering undergrad without biology, etc) took some effort, but the three I had to repeat were relatively easy and -- like most of my classes -- were taken at a local community college. 

Programs have their own requirements (especially as to "out-of-date" science courses); find ones that best match your background. On the other hand, to break into any new field, you are going to have to pay a price. Be ready for that and don't waste energy cursing the darkness.

Good luck.

Thanks. Your situation was quite different. I didn't graduate 36 years ago, I graduated less than 8 years ago. And science + healthcare is not a "new field" for me that I am "breaking into"- I have over 7 years of experience in the field and have an extensive foundation of upper level biology, microbiology, and clinical chemistry courses behind me. It would have been like you going back to school for an advanced degree in engineering and being told you need to retake Engineering 101 because it has been more than 10 years. I do feel like I have a right to be frustrated that schools can't see an experienced older candidate beyond their college transcript. I absolutely do not feel that my basic science courses have "expired". You can't tell me that someone who took organic chemistry 8 years ago remembers more than me because I took it 10 years ago. The knowledge will come back to me just as readily. Now I completely understand if a school wants students to have taken anatomy and physiology within the last 5 years- that makes sense. Which is why I am taking anatomy now and took physiology last spring. I am also taking medical terminology which, though completely unnecessary for me, many programs require. The courses have been a good review, and reinforced and supplemented the knowledge I already had. I feel more prepared and ready to jump into gross anatomy as a PA student. So yes, I understand "paying the price"- I'm doing it now, taking courses I probably didn't really need. But rather than setting an arbitrary expiration date for courses, the entire background of a candidate should be taken into consideration regardless of how many years ago they graduated from college. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

As an older student (33), I totally understand your frustration. I think the whole applicant needs to be considered when reviewing a candidate but I think you need to take into consideration the perspective of the schools. They get thousands of applications and don't have the time to research their backgrounds in that depth that you want. There are medical technologists that spend their entire careers running one or 2 assays because that's what their job requires of them. That means they need standards of academic performance. There are tons of people that have taken pre-reqs 8 years ago and have no recollection of the major concepts. Making sure applicants will get through their program is the main concern of admissions committees. To look into each applicants case would make their jobs much harder and time-consuming. If that is what you are asking for, I would "check your privilege" and humble yourself to a process that EVERY applicant has to go through. You have a strong background and I don't doubt that you will make it into a program. PA schools are going to get harder and harder to get into. Six figures after 2 years? Not many degrees can offer that. Meet the requirements and start your career. Good luck with that.

• Upvote 6

• 1 year later...

You are not the only one. 

I, too, now realize that older students, even if still vibrant, have massive restrictions placed on them by the overwhelming majority of PA, nursing, physical therapy and OT programs.

It's blatant discrimination and a form of ageism no one, except those of us experiencing it, admits.

But it's very real. In my search, I've been discouraged time and time again. Don't these schools know that life experienced health care providers are often more seasoned overall in their delivery and relatability to patients?

And I also received my undergrad with a 3.9 GPA including hard science courses. 

One does not ever forget the material learned. At most a brush up may be required, but that's what tutoring is designed for.

It's absurd to have to retake the courses again in terms of time and money. I am an exercise professional and have to remain up to speed with life science courses to be current. Therefore, I am in no way outside the science knowledge loop.

Expired pre reqs are more about sustaining age barriers/divisions/ prejudices and revenue generation more than it is about a provider's sheer ability.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tankedup said:

You are not the only one. 

I, too, now realize that older students, even if still vibrant, have massive restrictions placed on them by the overwhelming majority of PA, nursing, physical therapy and OT programs.

It's blatant discrimination and a form of ageism no one, except those of us experiencing it, admits.

But it's very real. In my search, I've been discouraged time and time again. Don't these schools know that life experienced health care providers are often more seasoned overall in their delivery and relatability to patients?

And I also received my undergrad with a 3.9 GPA including hard science courses. 

One does not ever forget the material learned. At most a brush up may be required, but that's what tutoring is designed for.

It's absurd to have to retake the courses again in terms of time and money. I am an exercise professional and have to remain up to speed with life science courses to be current. Therefore, I am in no way outside the science knowledge loop.

Expired pre reqs are more about sustaining age barriers/divisions/ prejudices and revenue generation more than it is about a provider's sheer ability.

I agree with everything you said. I truly did feel discriminated against as an older applicant. 

I first applied to PA school in summer 2017. In my personal essay I left out the fact that I am married and have two children. I applied to 7 schools, got interviews at every one, attended 6 interviews, and got accepted to 0 programs. By April 2018 I was beyond discouraged and didn't even want to go through the process all over again. I researched more programs, took a third psychology course required by a few programs I had not applied to before, and starting volunteering at a the local free clinic doing phlebotomy. 

For the 2018 application cycle, I slightly changed my personal essay and included the fact that I am a mother and a wife. God do I wish I had left that out like I did the first time. I applied to 10 schools. I didn't get interviews at 4 schools I had interviewed at the year before, even though I was on wait lists at 3 of those schools. That was a slap in the face. I was good enough to be an alternate the year before, but not even good enough for an interview a year later. I did get invited back to interview at the other 3 schools I applied to previously. 

After two years of extra work and frustration, I got accepted to 2 programs. One was Midwestern University and the other was the College of St. Scholastica, where I will be starting their PA program there this fall. I did have to write appeals to the admissions board prior to application because of the age of my prerequisites, but my extra work paid off. I know I'm the only one in my class over 30 and the only one with kids, but I don't care- I'm just grateful someone gave me a chance. 

I had to deal with so much bias and discrimination along the way. If you are a woman with kids, do not mention them or you will be discriminated against even more. I hate that I have to say this, but I had to learn this the hard way. 

All I can say is good luck. You can dye your hair and try to blend in the all with other white girls in size 4 black suits, but they'll still find a reason to reject you, not because your application is any weaker, but because you simply too old. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, mitteh71 said:

I agree with everything you said. I truly did feel discriminated against as an older applicant. 

I first applied to PA school in summer 2017. In my personal essay I left out the fact that I am married and have two children. I applied to 7 schools, got interviews at every one, attended 6 interviews, and got accepted to 0 programs. By April 2018 I was beyond discouraged and didn't even want to go through the process all over again. I researched more programs, took a third psychology course required by a few programs I had not applied to before, and starting volunteering at a the local free clinic doing phlebotomy. 

For the 2018 application cycle, I slightly changed my personal essay and included the fact that I am a mother and a wife. God do I wish I had left that out like I did the first time. I applied to 10 schools. I didn't get interviews at 4 schools I had interviewed at the year before, even though I was on wait lists at 3 of those schools. That was a slap in the face. I was good enough to be an alternate the year before, but not even good enough for an interview a year later. I did get invited back to interview at the other 3 schools I applied to previously. 

After two years of extra work and frustration, I got accepted to 2 programs. One was Midwestern University and the other was the College of St. Scholastica, where I will be starting their PA program there this fall. I did have to write appeals to the admissions board prior to application because of the age of my prerequisites, but my extra work paid off. I know I'm the only one in my class over 30 and the only one with kids, but I don't care- I'm just grateful someone gave me a chance. 

I had to deal with so much bias and discrimination along the way. If you are a woman with kids, do not mention them or you will be discriminated against even more. I hate that I have to say this, but I had to learn this the hard way. 

All I can say is good luck. You can dye your hair and try to blend in the all with other white girls in size 4 black suits, but they'll still find a reason to reject you, not because your application is any weaker, but because you simply too old. 

Wow, here we are in the so called most socially advanced country in the world yet highly qualified people are covertly marginalized every day. 

We're not a land based off educational meritocracy, but instead one based off strategic ism's to dictate,  dire greed that controls and oligarchy-directed principles that work to keep the non-select  in their respective pecking order.

Furthermore, such principles are intentionally in place to maintain systemic conditions that disenfranchise and weed out most of the marginalized within a population.

Mitteh 71, I am so rooting for your success from afar. 

You are an inspiration.

Please continue to spread your message through all the good deeds you will do as a health care professional and as a human being living her daily life.

Me, I'm middle aged...40-plus Once married, but separated due to financial matters.

I'm a certified exercise science enthusiast/substitute teacher doing lawn care to make ends meet.

I'm still excited to contribute back to society in significant ways, but I realize that an older mixed race man who speaks up for his truth is not a recipe for favor within an oligarchy based society where pretentiousness rules.

In the meantime, best wishes to you and your family. You will be a great PA someday soon who genuinely impacts many lives in a positive way.

Take care!

Edited by Tankedup
Typo 3

I am truly surprised that some older applicants have felt discrimination. That was not my case in the slightness, nor in the interviews I've been involved with at two programs since.

I interviewed at 3 programs when I was in my late 50s. I felt like something of a curiosity during the interviews -- like being asked how my wife would handle staying home while I moved two hours away to go to PA school. I chuckled and said that 36 years of history told me that we'd be fine. And we were.

PA programs have been interested in diversity for some time and the ones I know still seem to be. Diversity at a minimum encompasses  gender (short on guys for the most part), race (need more non-Caucasians), and age (students who aren't 24-28). True, if you're older, you'll feel out of place for a while but don't let that bother you; enjoy repeating a phase of life that you may have thought that you'd left behind.

As far as having to repeat prereqs, I'm sorry about that. The programs make the rules; they want to make sure your knowledge is current and would also like to see that you can still do the work. It's just a rite of passage. Complain if you'd like, but I think it's counterproductive to feel the world is out to marginalize you. When you're done with your rage, you'll find yourself right back where you started.

If you want something, there's always a price so be prepared to pay it. And, when you're in charge, you can change PA school prerequisites.

Edited by UGoLong
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UGoLong said:

I am truly surprised that some older applicants have felt discrimination. That was not my case in the slightness, nor in the interviews I've been involved with at two programs since.

I interviewed at 3 programs when I was in my late 50s. I felt like something of a curiosity during the interviews -- like being asked how my wife would handle staying home while I moved two hours away to go to PA school. I chuckled and said that 36 years of history told me that we'd be fine. And we were.

PA programs have been interested in diversity for some time and the ones I know still seem to be. Diversity at a minimum encompasses  gender (short on guys for the most part), race (need more non-Caucasians), and age (students who aren't 24-28). True, if you're older, you'll feel out of place for a while but don't let that bother you; enjoy repeating a phase of life that you may have thought that you'd left behind.

As far as having to repeat prereqs, I'm sorry about that. The programs make the rules; they want to make sure your knowledge is current and would also like to see that you can still do the work. It's just a rite of passage. Complain if you'd like, but I think it's counterproductive to feel the world is out to marginalize you. When you're done with your rage, you'll find yourself right back where you started.

If you want something, there's always a price so be prepared to pay it. And, when you're in charge, you can change PA school prerequisites.

Congratulations on your journey. And you make good points.

But the fact remains that I've already spent 85k to earn a bachelor's and then a graduate degree.

My graduate degree is in exercise science.

And in addition to other things I enjoy doing to earn revenue (horticulture and teaching math , science and computer programming to youths), I am also a certified exercise professional.

As a successful health coach, I work with a wide range of clients with different ages, genders, health statuses, ethnicities, cultures and backgrounds daily.

Therefore, I constantly utilize the scientific concepts of anatomy, physiology, chemistry, nutrition, kinesiology, psychology, sociology, physics, mathematics, microbiology,  epidemiology and similar nuances to prescribe nutritional and fitness programs.

There's also the hours of research necessary to work with complex cases. I am often in contact with colleagues and other health care providers to team and holistically work with clients.

I also have to maintain my certifications every couple years by taking scientifically based CEUs that match at least 20 credit hours.

And I've taken part in writing two top selling books on Amazon.

One is in reference to financial matters. The other references impotence and the problems associated to low t.

There are also dozens of published health based articles I've written on various scienifically researched topics.

Yes, I am in the trenches of health care!

I say all this to imply that I am up to speed with my health studies as much as any student entering a health related school.

Why? Because I use my health background in the job I do everyday to help my clients improve their health, fitness and life outlook.

You mentioned "rights of passage."

That's typical and I guarantee I can nearly predict who you are demographically, what many of your life experiences have been, your life narrative and the associates you spend most of your time with simply by the context of that cliche-statement.

Remember you are only you with your experiences. Therefore, you are not authorized to validate or invalidate anyone else's experiences in terms of what they determine a right to passage should be.

I am not hear to debate 'cause it won't change crap.

But absolutely, I believe I've paid the dues necessary to earn an opportunity to compete, excel and give back to the community while making a decent living as a allied health provider.

I've completed schooling, graduated summa cum laude, excelled in the hard sciences, math, computers, and I'm currently doing well in a scientifically grounded field only to told by some liberal arts specialist admissions counselor that I do do qualify!

That's nonsense!

So I challenge your claim that the search for diversity is a significant aspect of entry into modern day health programs.

Obviously your notion of diversity is likely much different than mine.

But again this text is not to point blame or make excuses.

But it is a squawk to shed light on subtle ways many members of society silently get marginalized through bureaucracy in the name of "just another day at the office."

And such antics disenchant many lives.

Coming back to the cliche rights of passage...

...there was even a so called "rights of passage" for select slaves to leave the out house and enter the Mater's quarters for their good behavior.

But still, that so called passage should not had been in question in the first place. 

That slave through having been bestowed with humanity deserved opportunity based off his or her dignity.

So using the cliche rights of passage is not the term to use here with me.

In fact, accounts have shown the phrase associated to some of the most , infamous, deadly and anguished times in history.

"Rights of passage" have often masqueraded as intentional obstacles by those in power to keep non selects away from certain opportunities.

Let's call it what it is.

Schooling is big business and greed is a key driving force to the price one pays to satisfy the right to pass.

The age related issues many students face is indirectly based on the premise that most older students have more burdens  on their plate than an 18 - 25 year old student would have.

Therefore, the probability of older students completing the course is much lower than it would be for that 22 year old blonde in a size 4 suit who comes from a prominent family. And no school-business wants to lose even a nickel over time.

Thus, your journey Sir is the exception, not the rule.

It further confirms, we do not live in a meritocracy and I guarantee that the best people who could contribute so much to the cause often do not get the opportunity to do so---'cause they failed the dominant group's definition to rights of passage.

To summarize, I've already leveled up to Master's Degree level success.

I aced my courses through grad and undergrad schooling and I utilize those (once learned, rarely forgotten) concepts everyday with clients.

But life happens sometimes and as a result it becomes less feasible to go back to school to repeat pre reqs that were already completed.

There are real people with circumstances that may include socioeconomic standing, family, lack of time who literally cannot do a repeat sacrifice.

And why should they? The "no pain no gain" theory really only works in fables and comic books.

Aspiring students who've paid their  dues shouldn't have to develop a martyr complex just to feel they've earned the right to give back to society.

The time required to repeat under grad courses as an adult with a business and a family is farcical.

The expense? Really!

And some programs realize the absurdity of  making students who've earned degrees repeat.

That's great!

A good friend of mine recently entered into medical school and never had to repeat pre reqs that she completed a decade prior. Go figure.

But, complaining is not my intention.

It never has been...just making a point that no two people share the same experiences or developed perceptions.

However, their unique realities will always be very real to them.

Peace, I' m done with this thread.

Edited by Tankedup
Typo2
  • Like 1

Tanked,

I did not mean to upset you. And I doubt  that you really know who I am any more than I know who you are. But, whoever you are, I only wish you well.

I did not mean to use a term that is associated with slavery. The definition of "rite of passage" as I intended it is:

A rite of passage is a ceremony or ritual of the passage which occurs when an individual leaves one group to enter another. It involves a significant change of status in society. In cultural anthropology the term is the Anglicisation of rite de passage, a French term innovated by the ethnographer Arnold van Gennep in his work Les rites de passage, "The Rites of Passage".[1] The term is now fully adopted into anthropology as well as into the literature and popular cultures of many modern languages.

Edited by UGoLong
  • Like 2

I am also an order student and ran into the pre req issue. I only applied to a couple of schools this cycle that did not have a time limit. I also have a family and am limited geographically. I took/retook probably 75% of required classes at community college but i would probably need to wait another cycle and re-take at least 5 more classes (including psych and I have a masters degree in social work) to open myself up to other programs. Financially, it didn't make sense to wait another year plus the cost of more pre reqs. Hoping that I'm a strong candidate and will get in this cycle. Some of the older and more established programs are more flexible on pre reqs. Check out Drexel, Wake Forrest, Thomas Jefferson East Falls campus. I'm sure there are others but those are programs I looked into.

• Like 1

I graduated the same year you did, and I only applied to schools that did not have an expiration date on prerequisites. I applied to 10 schools and got accepted to my top two choices, so it is definitely possible! It varies from school to school, so just do your research before applying. Good luck!

Hey can we go off on a different tangent for a minute?

I am 6.5 years from hitting the magic number in my pension system.  The difference between 24 years/364 days and 25 years/0 days is ~$40,000 per year for the rest of my life, from ~$20k per year to ~$60k per year.  Suffice to say I'm trying to stick it out for 6.5 years before I take off for either PA or NP school (not relevant to get into that debate now).

If I go the PA route, I still have about 2.5 more years from now (1 class at a time) to complete the chem/bio/ochem pre-reqs.  If I work through this now, I'll have about a 4 year gap between hard sciences and PA school (assuming I make it on first cycle).

I worry about this for 2 reasons

1. I worry the gap in hard sciences will mean I won't remember them very well, not entirely sure if that's important or not..

2. Most important - I worry that in that gap I will lose some of my edge of being a "good student".  I'm doing very well now with solid study habits and good retention, and I worry I'll lose some of those skills in the interim.

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, FiremedicMike said:

Hey can we go off on a different tangent for a minute?

I am 6.5 years from hitting the magic number in my pension system.  The difference between 24 years/364 days and 25 years/0 days is ~$40,000 per year for the rest of my life, from ~$20k per year to ~$60k per year.  Suffice to say I'm trying to stick it out for 6.5 years before I take off for either PA or NP school (not relevant to get into that debate now).

If I go the PA route, I still have about 2.5 more years from now (1 class at a time) to complete the chem/bio/ochem pre-reqs.  If I work through this now, I'll have about a 4 year gap between hard sciences and PA school (assuming I make it on first cycle).

I worry about this for 2 reasons

1. I worry the gap in hard sciences will mean I won't remember them very well, not entirely sure if that's important or not..

2. Most important - I worry that in that gap I will lose some of my edge of being a "good student".  I'm doing very well now with solid study habits and good retention, and I worry I'll lose some of those skills in the interim.

Thoughts?

I would wait and max your pension, assuming you still like your job. You can always take some classes along the way to keep your edge.

Just now, UGoLong said:

I would wait and max your pension, assuming you still like your job. You can always take some classes along the way to keep your edge.

I'm at peace with my job.. it's never going to be what I wanted it to be, so I'm just making the best of it.  

Right now they're being pretty liberal with school time and tuition reimbursement for me, so I'll ride that wave as long as I can.

3 minutes ago, FiremedicMike said:

I'm at peace with my job.. it's never going to be what I wanted it to be, so I'm just making the best of it.  

Right now they're being pretty liberal with school time and tuition reimbursement for me, so I'll ride that wave as long as I can.

Ride on, Mike, and good luck! That $40k for life will come in handy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Crschr said:

Does anyone know if other programs MD/DO/PT/OT have similar requirements on the "age" of the courses (or is this primarily a PA program requirement)? 

The majority of med schools have a similar requirement. 

It's one thing if you're courses "expired" 1 year ago from a deadline, but if they've been expired for several years it's not unreasonable to expect the student to retake the course(s). 

34 minutes ago, Apollo1 said:

The majority of med schools have a similar requirement. 

It's one thing if you're courses "expired" 1 year ago from a deadline, but if they've been expired for several years it's not unreasonable to expect the student to retake the course(s). 

I disagree. It is usually unreasonable to ask someone to retake a course. I just finished my didactic year. Guess how much organic chemistry I needed to know? Zero. Some schools told me I needed to retake intro to microbiology. I knew more microbiology than every single one of my instructors because I worked in a medical laboratory for years. The concept of expiring courses is a joke. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2