Is it worth being a PA? High school student

I’m graduating high school soon, and I am really interested in the health field. I always like helping people and I’m leaning towards PA over MD,Nurse Practioner, Physical Therapist, or a Optometrist. I would love to get to work with patients fast and be done with schooling fast also. The amount of schooling required to become a doctor doesn’t attract me. I want to start a family early and get a job early also. I also want to spend more time with my family. PA’s make a good amount of money to live a comfortable life. Is it financially secure? Will being a PA fulfill me? Or should I just go the MD route? I’m not a big fan of more schooling, too much responsibility and stress. Do PA’s do same thing as doctors ,work even longer hours than doctors and get paid less?

39 minutes ago, pacentur said:

Do PA’s do same thing as doctors ,work even longer hours than doctors and get paid less?

pretty much. some folks are happy as PAs. after 21 years as a PA and 30 years working in emergency medicine I am getting there. If I had life to do over again I would go to medschool. I should mention that I like having the final say, calling the shots, etc. I don't do subservient or deferential well. that's why the happiest I am is when I work as a solo provider.

One thing to note is that PAs carry a lot of responsibility and stress with the job. Yes less education in terms of years but a higher learning curve when done with school, which is quite stressful. I like being a PA but if I could go back I would have went the MD/DO route to be honest and since you are still in high school, I would recommend that. 

If I could do it all over again, I would be a Optometrist. I am not happy with medicine (family medicine) as too much placed on us from medicaid, medicare, commercial insurances, paper work that is crazy, PQRS/MIPS measures, patients are never happy, I never feel like I make a difference in most patients, some I do but that is 10% or less. I am not sure if I would like to be an Optometrist, but I did a 1 week rotation with Ophthalmology and hung out with the Optometrist as well and seems to be a low stress job and most people are very happy when they can see. Unsure about all their paperwork, but I am sure it couldn't be any worse than what I do daily. I would not be happy as a MD/DO either.  

Archived