New Grad Ortho Offer

Los Angeles, California.

95 K Base salary + 10 K Bonus (dispersed in $2500 every 3 months)
3 weeks PTO accrued over time . (does not include holidays)
50% of health insurance only (no vision or dental)
401k offered ONLY after 1 year of work
No CME benefits
? Malpractice insurance
? On Call ?

What is fair to ask for in terms of On call compensation, CME, Malpractice coverage and DEA reimbursement?

Thanks!

I can’t comment on salary but as for the other questions here is my take. 

CME:  Pretty standard to get $2000 CME with 3-5 days PTO for conferences etc.  I don’t think I’d accept less than $1500 unless salary was out of the park awesome. 

Malpractice:  should be %100 covered by your employer including “tail coverage”.

On Call:  I wouldn’t sign a contract with any chance of call without either clear language indicating what call would be expected and what the compensation for taking call would be, including cell phone stipend.  It is probably a good idea to have it in the contract that taking call is not a job responsibility as well even if they tell you it’s not.  Plenty of horror stories on this forum about people getting the shaft because of unclear or absent language about taking call and the compensation for it in their contracts. 

Archived