lnicolem

When Should I Apply? HCE (and GRE) advice

So I am currently a medical technologist generalist. I do pretty much everything in our hospital's main clinical lab: chemistry, rapid serology, blood banking, micro planting, urinalysis, coagulation and hematology. I do not do phlebotomy and I have no direct patient care in my job. I have been working here for 7 months (started 2 days after undergrad graduation), and I plan to stay here until the spring to make it a full year before I look for a job doing direct patient care. I have my EMT cert and some volunteer experience. My question is, considering that soon I'll have 2,000 hours of HCE, how many hours of direct patient care should I accumulate before I apply to PA schools/when should I apply?

Other info:

Studying for the GRE now to take it in December (Tips would be appreciated! Math is my trouble area.)

3.9 GPA 

Shadowed 3 different PAs for a total of roughly 30 hours, continuing to shadow.

definitely for studying for the GRE use Magoosh. It's an online program that tells you everything you need to know as well as tips and tricks, I seriously can't recommend it enough. I tried my best to stick to their one month study schedule (which I didn't do a great job of bc it's really intense) and am very happy with my score. Also if I were you, I would get a job in patient care ASAP and you should be able to apply this coming cycle.  I applied in July with only about 900 hours initially and was fortunate enough to have a few acceptances.  My goal to apply was 1000 hours of PCE, which is the minimum for some schools. I ended up falling just short and there were a couple I couldn't apply to, but I am glad I sent it in when I did. Good luck with the process!

https://magoosh.com/gre/2017/how-to-study-gre-one-month/#_ga=2.157339260.734068338.1512009946-1884994231.1510889243

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, PrePA886 said:

definitely for studying for the GRE use Magoosh. It's an online program that tells you everything you need to know as well as tips and tricks, I seriously can't recommend it enough. I tried my best to stick to their one month study schedule (which I didn't do a great job of bc it's really intense) and am very happy with my score. Also if I were you, I would get a job in patient care ASAP and you should be able to apply this coming cycle.  I applied in July with only about 900 hours initially and was fortunate enough to have a few acceptances.  My goal to apply was 1000 hours of PCE, which is the minimum for some schools. I ended up falling just short and there were a couple I couldn't apply to, but I am glad I sent it in when I did. Good luck with the process!

https://magoosh.com/gre/2017/how-to-study-gre-one-month/#_ga=2.157339260.734068338.1512009946-1884994231.1510889243

I'm using Magoosh and it is definitely a godsend! I think I'm going to stick it out here until spring, idk it might just be a personal thing but I think it will look best if I have a full year of experience as a med tech before leaving. Thanks so much! :)

For direct patient care HCE, it depends on the program, I've seen everything from a "recommended" amount of 500 hours to a "minimum" of 2,000. EMS, CNA, phlebotomy, and scribing seem to be the most popular for those who are doing them for the purpose of PA applications. You can also probably volunteer at a free clinic or something like that and get some direct HCE.

As for GRE math, it is all very quick geometry, stats/basic probability, algebra, and calc (functions and derivatives). You have like a minute or less per problem, so it is all about being able to size it up and solve it quickly, or eliminate one or two answers and take a guess. There is no point in studying for the types of problems that require a lot of work to solve. 

Also, don't stress the GRE, from what I can tell, it is used primarily as a cutoff to cull the huge number of applications PA programs are getting. Getting a 310 (or even a 300) doesn't seem to be much different than a 320+. The means for most programs that I've seen published is 153/5-ish for verbal and quant. With a 150+ in both V and Q you should be fine. And with a 3.9, if you meet the minimum GRE cutoff, no one is going to question your academic prowess. I too have a 3.9 (and mediocre GRE scores), in all of my interviews no one asked me about either. The only thing that was ever said was "Looks like you have a lot of A's" or "I see you didn't have any trouble in undergrad." The GRE was never mentioned. 

• Upvote 1

When it comes down to it, PCE>>HCE.  That said, ideally aim for the 2000 hrs of PCE - which is about a year of full time work.  

Depending on your current work schedule, there's no reason you can't pick up a part time job and use your EMT cert to start getting PCE.  You'll likely miss having your MT paycheck when you switch to a hands-on job so if you can swing both and save money for PA school, you'll be glad you did in the long run.