PA school HCE question

Okay, so here it is. I have close to 1600 hours working as a medical assistant in a pain management clinic. However, I wasn't a certified medical assistant. In Arkansas you can work without the certification. My first question is, do you think this will look less credible to a board if they see that I wasn't certified when working? Would you advise going back and getting certified as a phlebotomist, CNA, MA, etc and go through the whole process of getting hce experience again? Also, the clinic I worked at recently closed. I most likely will not be able to get a recommendation from the doctor or the staff. Should I consider getting other healthcare experience or is this adequate

Thanks in advance for answering!

42 minutes ago, eliam22 said:

i wasn't certified and was never asked about this during interviews. you should definitely keep working and accruing hours, and maybe with the new job you can get a letter from someone there

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking about phlebotomy for my next job.

That should be totally fine. If you need more hands on I would say volunteer with hospice patients. That will really look good on the application but your PCE is fine now, just need some more hours and try to ask a lot of questions from your provider at a new clinic but MA is a really good HCE/PCE to have :)

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Filling_Out_Your_CASPA_Application/3._CASPA_Supporting_Information/2_Experiences

This is CASPA's definitions ofPCE and HCE.

CASPA recently changed the requirements for PCE vs HCE.  So this may help your decision making. But you should also contact programs you want to apply to and see how they differentiate between the two.  I know the program I attend accepts "HCE" as PCE but will look more favorably on applicants with PCE.  

Hope this helps.

Archived