Hello all! I am going to be applying for the PA class starting in 2019. Can anyone give me a ballpark answer on how much patient experience is needed? I have 520 hours patient contact and 160 PA shadow hours. The website only says 80 is competitive but I thought it must be much more than that!

Hello again,

Would you happen to know any PAs in south Louisiana that I could shadow? Im having an issue finding shadow opportunities!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By prepa200k
      Hi! First I want to say I’m new to this forum but from looking at many posts I really enjoy how friendly everyone is 

I wanted to see other’s opinions about PCE as an Ophthalmic Assistant (COA). I believe this does qualify at many school for PCE, but I was wondering if, because a COA is all about optometry, does it make any less valuable? I have the option of doing an MA program or this COA program, but I’m more interested in the COA (and it’s cheaper). Of course I do want to be as competitive as possible, so does being an MA working in many specialities and around general general medicine more valuable to PA programs than a COA who is only around optometrists/ophthalmologists? 
    • By RDN2PA
      Hi! Wanted to start a thread for those looking for PCE. It can be daunting and scary (especially with COVID) to find jobs. Did you have a cool PCE job? List it! I am a dietitian, but work with some great teammates who didn't need special courses after their undergrad to be:
      Physical Therapy Aide
      Patient Care Tech
      Chiropractic Assistant
      Rehab Aide
      Ophthalmology Assistant
      Behavioral Health Tech
      Still check with your programs to make sure they accept these as PCE! Remember to really know what part of the job descriptions count as patient care. 
    • By alphaPA
      I am applying for 2021-22 cycle. I graduated recently and don't have any formal work experience. I am tired of applying to jobs, cold-calling clinics and hospitals for jobs. I even offered to work for free. I am licensed (EKG, and phleb) then also I am getting rejected. Nobody wants to hire anymore, they don't even need free services. I am a person of color, I hope that is not the reason.
    • By PotentialPA1
      I’ve already been gathering my PCE/HCE by volunteering as an EMT, working as a Scribe, and working as a DSP at a home for people with head injuries. So, volunteering at an animal shelter would simply just be my “giving back to the community” addition to my application. I love animals so this would be really satisfying for me to do in my spare time, when I’m not working with humans lol. Would schools look at this at all, or is it just a waste of my time that I should be spending working at a soup kitchen or something? I understand that a soup kitchen would probably be better and I plan on doing something like that once covid is over but for now my friend is starting up her own animal shelter and I would love for this to count for my application and make me look better to schools.
    • By pastudent6262
      Hello,
      I'm having a little panic session right now. I submitted one application and realized I did not add the last name for a PA that I shadowed in my experience section. Is this gonna be a major issue for my application? I thought CASPA meant that I couldn't edit the submitted application but that I could still edit the ones I had not yet submitted and now I realize I can't. Are schools going to fault me for this? 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More