Florida schools/PAs compared to other states

For those who have been practicing for a while, I'm wondering what the common perception is of Florida PA programs and Florida PAs in relation to the stricter regulations concerning controlled substances. Does this put PAs who practice in Florida at a disadvantage? Do other states take this into account when hiring Florida graduates? How does this impact Florida PAs in the ER?

I can make all the conjectures relating to the facts, but I'm more interested in hearing from those who have had specific experiences as established/practicing PAs.

Thanks!! :)

I work in the ER and practice in FL. Yeah it is an inconvenience to have to get docs to sign off on Lortab rx or other controlled substances but in all honesty it doesn't effect me too much. I can prescribe anything in the hospital without question just have to get rx signed when I write for outpatient use. I don't think it puts me at a disadvantage in that regards. I will say that I trained in the Northeast and PAs there are way further in the profession then in the Southeast. Docs respect PAs more and PAs in general are allowed to do a lot more.

I now work in Florida inpatient psych. Before that in Illinois where I had the priveldge of writing for Schedule V - I I. up there it was an ongoing battle for those looking for xanax et al, not just new scripts but many many pts whose pcp gave them lots of benzo's and of course the stimulent drugs. it is a sheer blessed relief to be in Florida where I am not assailed on a daily (or hourly) basis for controlled substances. If I need to write for a scheduled drug, I only need my SPs co-signiture. otherwise I can say "sorry no can do".

Thanks Jason & Alleycat, for your input! I definitely had a different impression on how things were and didn't realize that if needed you to you can just find your SP for a signature or that it may be a blessing in disguise, as alleycat put it.

Jason, is it safe to say that it doesn't limit the type of pt you see in the ER (trauma vs triage)?

Well depends on the ER and how they utilize PAs. I will say the trend is more favorable to any pt any provider in the Northeast but I have seen PA's in the southeast be able to see pts like this. I however am limited to lower acuity pts such as abd pain and low risk chest pains and minor traumas. I don't have access to critical pts or higher acuity pts at the place I work now.

Archived