Any way to get in state tuition?

I reallllly want to get out of Pennsylvania and go to a PA school in Florida. I want to study and do rotations there because I honestly can't handle this weather anymore.

Is there any way to get in state tuition say at like, the University of Florida? Would I have to live in that area a year before matriculation? Or can I establish residency and get in state tuition those two years if I live in Florida during that time? 

2 hours ago, gmr44 said:

I reallllly want to get out of Pennsylvania and go to a PA school in Florida. I want to study and do rotations there because I honestly can't handle this weather anymore.

Is there any way to get in state tuition say at like, the University of Florida? Would I have to live in that area a year before matriculation? Or can I establish residency and get in state tuition those two years if I live in Florida during that time? 

So i personally know all about this from my time in undergrad in Florida. I’m originally from Chicago and went down to FGCU for undergrad in 2007. I spent my first year getting residency before getting instate tuition my 2nd year. The process is very rigorous which requires a lot of different documentation. Scrictly just living there for school doesn’t qualify for instate tuition. You must have domiciled residency for 1 year, essentially a document saying you completely relinquish your residency anywhere else. Must show proof that you work full time during that one year (you won’t be able to do that at all in PA school), and depending on the schools requirement they may want a personal statement why you should get in state tuition.....other requirements as well. so basically it’s not as easy as it seems. There should be info with UF website regarding it. It’s a hassle and unless you live there a year prior and work, your chances greatly decrease.

To add to clballin's post, I am a FL resident and when I did my undergrad, the metric for simply "residing in the state" (basically, "this is when I got my FL driver's license") as opposed to the full time work that was mentioned or any other stipulation, was 3 years. 3 years residency was required for both my university, and for the FRAG grant (a FL grant of like $1,500 per year for undergraduates).

States typically require a few years to, no offense, prevent people from doing what you suggested. The whole idea is to reduce tuition because long time residents are more likely to stay in, and contribute to the state after graduation. If someone could just come to a state for school, and then establish residency after a year, it would defeat the purpose entirely. 

On 11/28/2017 at 3:32 PM, Anachronist said:

To add to clballin's post, I am a FL resident and when I did my undergrad, the metric for simply "residing in the state" (basically, "this is when I got my FL driver's license") as opposed to the full time work that was mentioned or any other stipulation, was 3 years. 3 years residency was required for both my university, and for the FRAG grant (a FL grant of like $1,500 per year for undergraduates).

States typically require a few years to, no offense, prevent people from doing what you suggested. The whole idea is to reduce tuition because long time residents are more likely to stay in, and contribute to the state after graduation. If someone could just come to a state for school, and then establish residency after a year, it would defeat the purpose entirely. 

This depends, too, on why you move to a state.  Moving there for undergrad - sure I see why they require 3 years.  I moved for a job before PA school was even on my mind and it only took 1 year to establish residency (common for most states).  When I went to take pre-reqs at a state school I was considered a resident for tuition purposes with just 1 year of residing in the state.

OPs idea to move and work for a year and THEN apply for a state PA program might work assuming they meet all the requirements the state itself sets for residency.

Archived