Being involved as a PA student?

Getting past the excitement of being accepted, I began considering plans during and post-PA school.

I know there are options to be involved during school (Student government, some organizations, etc.); however, I was wondering if there was an advantage to getting involved during PA school.

From what I understand, the day will consist of eating, breathing, and loving(hating) school itself. I expect to be dedicated to school and under the pressure of the curriculum, so I had to wonder why one would take more responsibility on top of all that?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am the VP of our class SAAAPA chapter. It is a lot of fun to get involved and be able to be a leader for your class. It has also been a great way to meet and interact with each person in your class even if they are not in you "core study group". Highly reccomend becoming involved! Trust me, there is time :)

Getting involved has countless benefits. Building your resume is always a good idea, but there is way more to it than that. Involvement in organizations in your school or community is a great way to network outside of your program's small "bubble." It makes you a more well-rounded graduate, gets you involved in more social/fun activities and can keep you sane when you need a break from the books. I would try to at least be involved in one PA-related activity (AAPA, SAAAPA, class officer, etc.) and one non-PA activity (volunteerism, school organizations, other extracurricular interests). That strategy allows you to serve the profession and stay in touch with PA events while acting as an ambassador for your program and profession.

Archived