Difficult airway Course: EM

Just took the 3 day Difficult airway course for emergency medicine physicians. great course. Took the ems version in 2010 for 1/3 the price. The em course has better scenarios and is more in-depth with regard to fiberoptics, but you probably only need the full em course if you work solo.

Took it a few years back; I've also taken the EMS version and found the EM one more relevant to ED practice.  We send our PA residents to the Levitan cadaver-based airway course in Baltimore; I'm looking forward to trying it someday to see how it compares to the sim-based Difficult Airway Course.

One must take the Levitan course for airways... Ron Wall's course is good for management aspects of a difficult airway - but Levitan's course truly teaches you how to intubate.  You lads know my background; did EMS for 18 years before moving into the ER, mostly non-transport, high call volume ALS a.k.a. a cruiseship full of tubes over a career.  But walking away from the Levitan course, that was the first time I learned to actually intubate someone.  Few courses throughout my academic, medical and paramedical career have been as impactful as Rich's course.  Follow it up with his fiber-optic course and you'll never trust an airway in someone else's hands ever again.

For newbies or those getting into EM - Take Levitan's course first.  Then take Ron Wall's course.  Then take Levitan's fiber-optic course.  You will never look at airways the same way again.

G

• 1 month later...

Levitan's course was AMAZING. I'm lucky, my current job paid me to take it. But, I would pay for it out of pocket again. Met some amazing providers (mostly docs), and got to get some good PA PR to these docs (they were impressed at what I managed as a PA and that I was taking courses they were)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived