New Grad Urgent Care Offer

Hi guys, new grad here. Received an offer for a hospital owned urgent care system. As a new grad, I was looking for somewhere I can continue to learn. They've told me that I'll be working with medical director first for a few weeks to a month, and then move onto double coverage with PA's who have agreed to mentor new hires/grads. They sent me an offer letter breaking down my employment, does this all look okay?

• x6 12 hours shifts every 2 weeks
  • ~$92,600 annual salary (negotiating for a bit more)
  • Extra shift OT at x1.25 hour when annual is broken down into hourly wage
  • On call once a month for sick coverage or double coverage assistance, with extra shift pay at x1.25 if called in
  • Up to 4% annual bonus
  • DEA, license, society membership reimbursement
  • Malpractice with tail covered
  • Student loan assistance - 5k after 1 year, additional 5k after 2 years
  • 403b
  • 25 days PTO
  • $3,000 CME plus 5 days off for CME
  • medical, dental, vision

Thanks!

I also work for a hospital based UC. I've really enjoyed the position and having a lot of the hospital resources at my disposal when needed.

All in all, a pretty solid offer save for requesting a bump in the baseline salary. Even if they don't budge, it's a pretty good offer when the tuition reimbursement is thrown in. Make sure there isn't a non-compete clause and you can easily pick up PRN somewhere else working only 3 days a week (I have the same schedule and work consistently elsewhere one day a week).

30 minutes ago, beattie228 said:

I also work for a hospital based UC. I've really enjoyed the position and having a lot of the hospital resources at my disposal when needed.

All in all, a pretty solid offer save for requesting a bump in the baseline salary. Even if they don't budge, it's a pretty good offer when the tuition reimbursement is thrown in. Make sure there isn't a non-compete clause and you can easily pick up PRN somewhere else working only 3 days a week (I have the same schedule and work consistently elsewhere one day a week).

Oh yeah, I forgot to put in there, there is no non-compete clause. I can work somewhere else, they just have to sign off on it. The recruiter says it's never a problem and a lot of the PA's in their system work at other places on the side.

• 1 month later...

That PTO though <3 <3 <3.  I just started school and don't know much about contract negotiation, but I've been lurking in this thread for a long long time and while I can see the desire to negotiate for a higher salary, this looks pretty damn solid otherwise.  If I may ask, whereabouts is this???  I'm really loving that PTO, heh.

That's a pretty good deal.  Also ask them what their pay scale and structure is.  At my institution we have a pay grade system.  I started at a pay grade 55 which has a salary range of like 95k-105k, I was hired at 97k.  Once I became more independent and starting doing procedures on my own, I was bumped up to a pay grade 56 and earned a salary rase to 110k.  The thing is the higher the grade, the larger the scale is so now I'll probably be at a grade 56 for a while as the range is probably 110-130k or something like that.  Also don't be afraid to ask for a signing bonus.  

Archived