Stressed over the high responsibility

On 1/12/2018 at 8:57 PM, mackjacks said:

Why are you so stressed and why do you think it is increasing over time instead of decreasing as you become more experienced and ideally more confident? Do you have supportive coworkers you can run a case by if you are unsure? Is anyone pressuring you to treat things you are uncomfortable with, either long term or by not sending cases to the ER?

I’m trying to figure that out myself. I have supportive coworkers and can call our affiliate ER with questions. I think the pressure lies in the volume of patients I see, which can range from 40-50 in a 12 hr shift. The accuity has increased as residents in the area believe we are an ER so I frequently have to stop what I’m doing to triage patients that should be in the ER. 

Im currently looking into setting myself up for early retirement. 

1 hour ago, PAMEDIC said:

I saw 6 patients over 8 hours yesterday.  There are jobs out there with way less stress.

yes and no. low volume does not always equal low stress. I typically see 8-14 pts in 24 hrs at my rural ER job. fairly high acuity. for me, that is interesting, not stressful, but this job wouldn't be for everyone. We had a guy a few months ago who worked 3 shifts and quit because he realized he was in waaaaaay over his head.

3 hours ago, corpsman89 said:

Well there's your problem. 

That's nearly 4 patients per hour, on a good day. I would be worrying about my every move too, if I only had 15 minutes to talk, Dx, and Tx the patient. 

Find a different job I say. 

I’m glad to see I’m not not the only one that feels this way. I thought I was being a a wuss for complaining and not seen more.

Been looking already and most of the job postings start with “busy practice seeking...” and we all know what that means. 

9 hours ago, PA-SGuy said:

so what would be an ideal starting point for new grads in an urgent care? 3 pts an hour? Obviously there are a lot of variables like acuity etc that play a role, but on average, would 3/hr make sense?

2-2.5 pts/hr as a new grad because you will also be learning an emr, will not be terribly fast with procedures yet, will get a lot of consults, etc

Archived