Decline USC admission for cheaper schools

Hi everyone,

I know this is a sensitive topic but I need sincere input to see whether anyone has actually declined USC admission for other local schools such as Western University or Loma Linda. I have read many posts about choosing the cheapest schools but living in such a competitive job market like Orange County, I feel like USC name can help us finding a better job, is it true? I know USC has the best PA program in Southern CA but its tuition is almost double that of other schools and is 6-9 months longer. Since I am married with one kid and paying mortgage, my future disposable income maybe too limited to cover the additional tuition of USC compared to other schools, although my husband is emotionally supportive of either choice.

Your experience and advice are highly appreciated. Thanks!

USC is an amazing program, as far as tuition and loans go it really doesnt matter in the short term. Your loan payments will be the same in the end youll just have to pay them for a longer period of time (not a big deal in my opinion considering the payments are low percentages). The question you should really be contemplating is whether you want to enjoy, and I mean really enjoy your time in school. I have friends in both Western and other shorter course PA programs and their life can not stop, they are often way over worked and stress, as far as USC goes I believe it is the perfect time frame for the profession. Things are spaced out well and the staff is INCREDIBLE. 

I think you should weigh out a list of pros and cons.
To counter EMTgonePA and play devils advocate, your loan payments may be the same amount but they will also be for a much longer period of time.
Also, no matter where you go, you will have the opportunity to make an impression during your rotations and get your foot in the door - if you happen to really like one of your sites. So you don’t necessarily need usc to find a good job.
OC’s job market may be competitive but honestly there’s a plethora of PA jobs out there, it just depends how picky you really are and where/how much you’re willing to start with. No matter where you go, you will always run the risk of starting of low and having to build your way up.
That being said, USC has MANY pros to it. It’s a dream school for most PA aspiring Cal residents.
End of the day? You can’t really go wrong with your decision because you’re going to be a PA and you’re going to have a job. Do what YOU want and what you believe is best based on your own research.
And congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived