UAB Class of 2020

On 12/7/2017 at 0:09 PM, saleem said:

Such a great idea!

How was your experience with Global Brigades? 

It was great! The group of people I went with were awesome! The group leaders through Global Medical Brigades were great too. They took us on a hike through the jungle where monkeys were hanging from the trees. It was awesome. The people we set up clinics for didn't have running water or electricity. 

On 12/7/2017 at 0:05 PM, saleem said:

I've known a few co-workers go on medical mission trips with IVHQ and really loved it. 

They have a variety of medical mission trips and most are very affordable. Depending on where you go, some locations will let you do a lot for the patient population there or set up health promotion groups. 

https://www.volunteerhq.org/blog/medical-mission-trips/

Oh my gosh! This one sounds amazing! Where did your friends go? 

On 12/9/2017 at 8:25 PM, mtorr_ca said:

Oh my gosh! This one sounds amazing! Where did your friends go? 

Your experience sounds awesome. I've never been on a medical mission trip before. I definitely look forward to an international volunteer experience before starting school.  

My coworkers went to Peru with ivhq after completing nursing school. 

On 12/13/2017 at 1:17 PM, LaurlPA said:

question, does anybody know if there is a facebook group yet for our class??

I'm guessing that there wouldn't be one before the Dec 18 deposit deadline or until after the holiday break.

I remember reading something from previous year's class posts that the group wasn't created until May lol. Not sure if things have changed since. 

9 hours ago, saleem said:

I'm guessing that there wouldn't be one before the Dec 18 deposit deadline or until after the holiday break.

I remember reading something from previous year's class posts that the group wasn't created until May lol. Not sure if things have changed since. 

that makes sense!! thank you!

On 12/14/2017 at 8:01 PM, saleem said:

Your experience sounds awesome. I've never been on a medical mission trip before. I definitely look forward to an international volunteer experience before starting school.  

My coworkers went to Peru with ivhq after completing nursing school. 

That is awesome! Yes, I want to plan one for sure! Once I know more, I will let you know some options and dates!

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:34 AM, pastu727 said:

me! I need help looking at apartments! 

Hey! So if you are looking to live downtown, a couple options are The Venue, Crowne on 10th, Station 121, Bristol, 20 Midtown, and Highland Apartments. If you are okay with driving about 10-15 minutes, I would look into Oaks at Lakeshore(I lived here for undergrad), Wildwood, Lakeshore Crossings, or the Tapestry.

On 12/22/2017 at 7:50 AM, pmemula said:

Hey guys!! So I'm from Birmingham and recently moved downtown. If you have any questions or need help looking for apartments, I can try to help you out. Can't wait to meet everyone :)

I'm coming from Cali.. and have been looking for a house to rent. I'm looking for a 3-4 bedroom. Any good advice?

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, mtorr_ca said:

I'm coming from Cali.. and have been looking for a house to rent. I'm looking for a 3-4 bedroom. Any good advice?

I would look for a house in the Homewood area. It's about a 15 minute drive from campus and would be much safer than living in a neighborhood downtown

• 2 weeks later...

Headed to Birmingham this weekend to start the apartment search!  I'll likely be looking for roommates since my wife will be staying in Tallahassee, FL to work while I'm at UAB.  Let me know if there are any apartments anyone would like me try to scope out in person?  I'll probably be looking at a couple that were listed above.

• 8 months later...

Archived