First Peds THC death

What’s the mechanism through which THC would cause myocarditis?

I’ve never heard of that correlation before, and god knows I’ve seen more than my fair share of THC enthusiasts during my ED career! (And my husband’s Grateful Dead “career”, more to the point.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose anything can happen - I almost cardioverted a guy that came in tachycardic and freaking out...turned out a "friend" (who I'm surprised wasn't black and blue in the bed beside him and I told him as much) had given him some special cookies without telling him they were laced with weed.  I suppose if the kid was wound up long enough, its possible...but, as they always taught us in school, association =/= causation.  The myocarditis could well be from a usual suspect, like some virus we can't see/find/test for or just plain old idiopathic.

Will sit and eat popcorn waiting for more...talking of dope is giving me the munchies, lol.

SK

“We are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed that child,” said Thomas Nappe, an author of the report who is now the director of medical toxicology at St. Luke’s University Health Network in Bethlehem, Pa.

Nappe, who co-authored the report with Christopher Hoyte, explained that the doctors simply observed this unusual sequence of events, documented it and alerted the medical community that it is worth studying a possible relationship between cannabis and the child’s cause of death, myocarditis, or inflammation of the heart muscle.

Their observations appeared in the August edition of the journal Clinical Practice and Cases in Emergency Medicine as a case report, which is significantly different from a scientific study or research report that can be used to establish a causal relationship.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

There have certainly been many fatalities at this point from kids drinking nicotine or THC vape juice. I live in one legal marijuana state and work in another. I have seen LOTS of issues related to the legalization, mostly among the elderly (who consumed edibles unknowingly) or stupid teenagers who can't read "serving size is one gummy bear" (not all 10) on their edibles package. Rates of cannabinoid hyperemesis have gone through the roof too. I didn't know this existed until a few years ago now see it almost every shift...and they ALWAYS say " dude, it can't be the weed".