Loans repayment during residency?

You can get a deferment as a fellowship is considered an educational environment.  I asked this at every fellowship/residency interview and they all said they have a letter already drawn up. 

Interest still accrues during the deferment period, but it can be another tool to consider using. 

A side note, residencies/fellowships are very competitive (orders of magnitude from just a couple years ago).  And no one knows WHAT the residency landscape will look like by the time you get out of school.  Focus on school and get those grades.  Good luck.

On 11/16/2017 at 7:12 AM, JD2012 said:

I was accepted into a program and will begin in May of 2018.  I have always had the idea of doing a residency post-graduation.  

One question I had, with the residency stipends hovering in the $60k range, how do/did you deal with loan repayment during your residency?

Even though you can get deferred status. Pay as much towards the loans that you can while in residency. 

Archived