Free Clinic

It would seem that it can be a bit of a logistical challenge but doable. I volunteered at a Good Samaritan Clinic that provided free health and dental care in Florida, but there was a catch, to qualify the patients could not be eligible for any insurance including VA benefits, MediCare, or MedicAid. I believe that it was State or county law that created that stipulation. They also had a pharmacy and referral network of specialty providers. It was a really great experience because everyone was a 100% volunteer and really wanted to be there. Like you, many were semi-retired. Finding one of those and getting the ins and outs of whichever state you want to operate in might be a good place to start. You may also find it easier to volunteer at an already established clinic than start from scratch. 

I've worked in a free clinic and toyed once with starting my own. It got complicated quickly and I gave up. I hope you can do it. The complications include the malpractice, finding a SP that is not scared away by litigious risks. Incorporating as a nonprofit. When I began talking to my physician friends it was on the order of them not wanting to touch it with a ten foot pole. But you should try.

Archived