Undergrad RESEARCH??

I have research experience as it was required for my microbiology degree. Though it's not generally a requirement for PA school, I think there are a lot of benefits. First, I can now read/write scientific papers, which is a nice skill to have. (Oddly, I wasn't taught that in any of my other science classes.) Second, I learned how to present info to a group of microbiology professors and fellow students (ie, people who actually knew way more about my project than I did since they'd been in the field for years, but I was able to answer questions and discuss points adequately --> education, confidence and professionalism). Third, it helped solidify concepts I'd learned about in lecture. This worked so well that I was actually able to later tutor other micro students. Fourth, though I really liked my PI, my lab and my co-workers, I can definitely say that a life in a lab is not for me. (Which is great because my life plans included some time in R&D which I now know wouldn't work.)

Sometimes we get so focused on "checking boxes" that we lose sight of the big picture. Research may or may not be an interest for you. If it is, go for it! You will learn a lot.

I'd like to add that some PA school curriculums can incorporate research. A few schools that I interviewed at had the option of a literature review or your own research for your master's thesis. They said most students chose the literature review because it was less time-consuming and they'd rather be using their time to prep for PANCE.

The PA school curriculum does not incorporate research, although PAs (often with additional academic qualifications) can participate in research at various levels.

Eh... your PA school curriculum may not incorporate research. Mine does - one of our masters project options is original research and all that it entails, and we're all required to take a research course so we know what we're doing as consumers of research, even if we choose another option for our masters project.

But no, I've never heard of a PA school requiring undergrad research experience.

I completed a year of neuroscience research with the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. I assisted and performed in mammal surgery, immunohistochemistry, injections etc. I interviewed at AT Still, and they did not even ask me about it during my interview. I was rejected shortly after my interview. So in answer to your question, I do not think my research with the Dean mattered at all, which disappointed me.

I completed a year of neuroscience research with the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. I assisted and performed in mammal surgery, immunohistochemistry, injections etc. I interviewed at AT Still, and they did not even ask me about it during my interview. I was rejected shortly after my interview. So in answer to your question, I do not think my research with the Dean mattered at all, which disappointed me.

Ouch... Now I'm kind of worried. I did almost two years of research where I did mammal surgery and injections as well, but I guess that's not worth much then... Did you do any presentations or earn any awards from the research you did?

• Administrator
Eh... your PA school curriculum may not incorporate research. Mine does - one of our masters project options is original research and all that it entails, and we're all required to take a research course so we know what we're doing as consumers of research, even if we choose another option for our masters project.

Allow me to be more clear: The generic PA school curriculum, as mandated by ARC-PA, does not include research. I know, because my accredited program does not require research, but just a meta-analysis paper.

Archived