Splinting guide

Hey everyone, 

Just wondering if anyone has come across a good splinting guide. I've been looking but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Ideally a book that clearly outlines what splints are best for which fractures. I completed an ortho rotation and have experience as a tech in the ED in which we did all the splinting for the providers, but I really would like some sort of resource to refer to if needed. 

Thank you

The orthopedic residents who covered ED consults would reference "Handbook of Splinting and Casting" and "Manual or orthopedics".  These are quite detail oriented - I'm not sure how good they'd work as quick bedside references on shift in the ED.

If you're just looking for a few quick and dirty on the job references, I can upload a few things that I've stumbled upon over the years.  They are not bad, but definitely missing some important pieces of information.  I put some thought into this a while back, and I feel that the important areas to know/reference in ED fracture care are basically the following... for any given fracture X, we should know:

-associated complications to document pertinent negatives (i.e. certain fractures are higher risk for compartment syndrome, specific nerve or vascular injuries, etc)

-assessment of X-ray features relevant to management.  i.e. boxers fracture can tolerate 40 deg angulation before need for ED reduction.  

-indications for ED ortho consultation related to this (aside from the obvious open fx, vasc compromise, etc) vs when its okay to manage by yourself

-closed reduction technique and tips for that location

-splint recommendation for that fracture, and technique / parameters to know its an adequate splint.  when its okay to use the simple removable / prefab splints.

-follow up guidelines and weight bearing status

I have yet to find any book or guide that covers all of these things, so I've just been working on one myself.  I've just been filling out the specific sections as I see them, read about them, and talk with ortho... hopefully will finish it some time in the next few months. If anybody else knows of a guide that already covers all of these things, let me know so I can stop!

Casts and Splints.doc

• 4 weeks later...

Archived