Personal statement 2nd time applying

Hi everyone,

I will be applying to PA schools next cycle, and it will be my second year applying. With that being said, is it ok to mention the challenges and lessons that I learned from being rejected to PA school my first time applying? I obviously don’t want to spend too much time on my “flaws” but I think it would sound genuine and legitimate if I mention the mistakes I made in this year’s application and what I learned from them. Any thoughts on that?

When reapplying to programs, there is a section in CASPA to address if you are a reapplicant for that program and changes you've made since last application. In this section, it would be appropriate to mention the mistakes you've made and what you've taken away. You may not apply to all the same schools again next cycle so your personal statement would not apply to those schools that are new to your list. If you are only reapplying to the same schools, then I guess you could mention what has changed if you feel it would really tie into your personal statement well in a specific scenario/area, but you may be repeating yourself later on when the schools ask if you are a reapplicant in the supplemental materials sections. 

On 11/7/2017 at 9:47 AM, ajames said:

When reapplying to programs, there is a section in CASPA to address if you are a reapplicant for that program and changes you've made since last application. In this section, it would be appropriate to mention the mistakes you've made and what you've taken away. You may not apply to all the same schools again next cycle so your personal statement would not apply to those schools that are new to your list. If you are only reapplying to the same schools, then I guess you could mention what has changed if you feel it would really tie into your personal statement well in a specific scenario/area, but you may be repeating yourself later on when the schools ask if you are a reapplicant in the supplemental materials sections. 

I wasn't aware of that section in CASPA for reapplicants, thanks for sharing! 

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that the admission committees will love it if you can take a challenging series of events, and turn it into a personal triumph of sorts. Self-reflection/self-awareness shows that an individual has a high emotional intelligence, which is very much needed in the medical field (there are often too many incredibly smart individuals, who cannot communicate or show patients empathy). Good luck!

I was a second year applicant this year and I wouldn't necessarily state what you did wrong, rather explain what you have improved/gained over the year (volunteer hours, patient contact hours, shadowing hours, improved GPA.) At the end of my CASPA essay I briefly mentioned that I was a second year applicant and how I improved my application showing my commitment to becoming a PA. I didn't apply to all of the same schools as I did last year, but I think it's still good to mention that you applied previously and what you have done since last cycle.

Hope this helps!

Archived