Paramedic with 3.58 GPA but 3.35 science

Hello,

I am currently in the 3rd semester of my paramedic course, and a senior in college.  I will be graduating in May 2018 with a BS is kinesiology, with an expected GPA of about 3.6, with a science GPA of about 3.35.  I will also have completed my paramedic course, along with the national registration as well.  By the time I apply in September, 2018, I will have just over 2000 as an EMT-B and EMT-P. I am a little concerned with the GPA's, as they are average, and it seems that all the schools average for acceptance are about 3.8 or higher.  Do I have a chance of getting in?  

Thanks for the info.  It is just that I was told, by the graduate school director at my university that getting to the interview portion was primarily about GPA, which I consider to be a little low (orgo killed me with a C-).  However, I was also told by him that my other tangibles were good.  It just scares me I guess.  Originally, I wanted to be a PT, but after I took the EMT-B course, I was hooked.  I did 300 hours of clinical for that, even though it only required 48.  I just loved helping to make a difference for people when they were having sometimes their worst day ever.

1 hour ago, gabrielled said:

Hello,

I am currently in the 3rd semester of my paramedic course, and a senior in college.  I will be graduating in May 2018 with a BS is kinesiology, with an expected GPA of about 3.6, with a science GPA of about 3.35.  I will also have completed my paramedic course, along with the national registration as well.  By the time I apply in September, 2018, I will have just over 2000 as an EMT-B and EMT-P. I am a little concerned with the GPA's, as they are average, and it seems that all the schools average for acceptance are about 3.8 or higher.  Do I have a chance of getting in?  

I would say that your cGPA is on the higher end of average, you sGPA is average but provided you have an upward trend you should be fine. Your HCE is average depending on what school you are applying to. As people mentioned the application process is more than just the numbers, a good PS goes a long way toward getting the adcoms attention, so does you LOR's. I will say applying in September is not the best idea. Again this is school dependent but September is considered pretty late, don't feel that because you aren't going to have everything done until September that you can't apply early. Apply with stuff in progress if necessary, I would suggest applying in early July at the very latest.

By the time you apply your biggest weaknesses will be the time of application, a bit late, and the amount of health care hours you'll have since that's the minimum amount for some programs out there.  This is also assuming that your letters of recommendation and personal statement are stellar as well as GRE.

There are some many more variables besides GPA, but it does play a big one.  Just make sure you apply to the right programs, do you research, make sure you fall in line with their accepted stats.  

As far as your GPA, it's pretty darn good. This from a person who had a 3.2 all around and with an acceptance.

Archived