Suggested reading for new PA starting critical care job.

• 2 weeks later...

ICU book by Marino

Fundamentals of Critical Care Support by SCCM

Get plugged in to Free Open Access Medical Education (FOAM): LIFTL is a great place to start 

Start listening to some crit care podcasts: EMCrit, SMACC, Intensive Care Network to name a few

Start learning about ultrasound (free resources): ultrasound podcast, 5 min sono, sonomojo

My advice- always know backwards/forwards anything that can kill a patient in a few minutes. You won't have time to look it up. 

Use the online Mass Gen Hospital Housestaff Handbook (you can find the 2016 pdf online for free) for quick refreshers.

UptoDate for anything you have time to look up. Marino is a great baseline read.

I found FCCM very basic, just read through a used copy.

Agree with ultrasound- read up on free resources, then have your job pay for you to attend the CHEST bedside course in Chicago.

Also, please do not read that latest and greatest in critical care evidence based medicine. I've seen too many interns/residents/critical care PA residents be blinded by all this new data/reports/etc, when they just need to learn the basics on how to recognize SICK and all the other basics of critical care. On that note, review articles are fantastic. You can PM me if there are any topics your curious about (ARDS, cirrhotics in the ICU, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived