Need advice on an "Unusual Situation"

Dear fellow PA students,

I am in the last semester ( Finished 7 ) rotations and in very unusual situation. I have a family emergency ( which I can't discuss here as its very emotional) and mentally not in a place to finish the rotations. I had a  Staff meeting & will most likely be awarded a leave of absence . I plan to start the other 2 rotations  in January. I have good academic grade until now with GPA of 3.5. ( including didactics & clinical). My question is how does this work? I know usually there is summative evaluations in the end of rotations, so does this mean I can take these evaluations after finishing rotations or I have to take them when in December? Will it impact my licensing and my future as PA-C ? Any response is highly appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to delay a rotation due to a knee surgery.  No problems except it was annoying to graduate late and delay start dates for employment. It made no difference to employers when I talked to them about my delayed graduation.  I didn't get my university diploma until the end of the semester, but the program sent my info to NCCPA and the state, then I took the PANCE immediately after my last rotation. 

Talk to your program, I guarantee you are not the first to need to delay rotations and graduation because of family illness/problems, etc. It is good you know your limits and requested the time off, suffering through something like that will not help anything.

Many medical professionals push through stress at home and making it difficult to focus on patient care or making it difficult for people to work with them. Don't feel bad, life sucks some times and it sounds like you are handling it in a responsible manner professionally. Good luck.

Archived