Nonscience GPA Question

I apologize if any of these questions have been answered. I don't typically spend my time on this board. I was just combing through the CASPA website and had a few questions.

For the nonscience GPA, the website says it does not include professional coursework. What does that mean? For example, I am a nutrition major, does my nonscience GPA not include a course such as life cycle nutrition or food science?

It says that your science GPA is calculated based off of specific classes (ie. biology, chemistry) and then goes on to include "other science" would that include food science? Or a course such as food toxicity?

Does CASPA omit +/- when grading? So if I earned a B- in a class, it would be considered a B? I am a little confused with the table it has on its FAQs page: 90-100 A, 80-89 B... etc. For many of my classes, the grades are curved, so a 78 percent may be B, does that mean by CASPA's standards it is a C?

I was told that in most cases, CASPA helps your GPA "look better." Is this true for most people?

I withdrew from Organic Chemistry to re-take it knowing that CASPA would average out the two grades if I had ended up with a C in the course, earning an A would still only average out to a B. Was that a better choice than taking the C? It says a "Withdraw Failing" is considered an F. I took a W for the class. Does that mean it will be calculated as an F?

Any feedback or advice is welcome.

I apologize if any of these questions have been answered. I don't typically spend my time on this board. I was just combing through the CASPA website and had a few questions.

For the nonscience GPA, the website says it does not include professional coursework. What does that mean? For example, I am a nutrition major, does my nonscience GPA not include a course such as life cycle nutrition or food science?

It says that your science GPA is calculated based off of specific classes (ie. biology, chemistry) and then goes on to include "other science" would that include food science? Or a course such as food toxicity?

Does CASPA omit +/- when grading? So if I earned a B- in a class, it would be considered a B? I am a little confused with the table it has on its FAQs page: 90-100 A, 80-89 B... etc. For many of my classes, the grades are curved, so a 78 percent may be B, does that mean by CASPA's standards it is a C?

I was told that in most cases, CASPA helps your GPA "look better." Is this true for most people?

I withdrew from Organic Chemistry to re-take it knowing that CASPA would average out the two grades if I had ended up with a C in the course, earning an A would still only average out to a B. Was that a better choice than taking the C? It says a "Withdraw Failing" is considered an F. I took a W for the class. Does that mean it will be calculated as an F?

Any feedback or advice is welcome.

Professional means trade school. Like becoming a mechanic. Yours is counted.

They have a list of other sciences on the website. I believe nutrition is other science.

I believe the plus/minus is dropped. Maybe wrong.

A W is not calculated as failing. Did the right thing I believe, but the adcom will be looking at why you dropped.

Archived