Major for undergrad?

Hello!! I'm currently a senior in high school. I'm deciding between either majoring in psychology or biology for undergrad and I'm having an extremely difficult time making up my mind. Does anyone have any advice or past experience with these majors?

Both subjects are interesting to me (mostly psych) but I would predict that I would do much better in the psychology major, GPA wise. But if I go the biology route, I would be able to get most of my prerequisites out of the way, as compared to psychology where I'd have to take additional courses to fulfill the prereqs. To be honest, the main thing pulling me back from majoring in biology is having to take physics. I'm also afraid of having a degree in psychology! I wouldn't know what I'd do with that degree if I decide not to go the pre-PA route. 

I would appreciate any kind of advice!!!

It is wonderful that you are trying to plan ahead! You will find as you begin college your interests may change or shift. I entered college certain I wanted to major in biology but graduated with a degree in biochemistry. My boyfriend started as a business major, switched to journalism, and ended with a degree in government. Freshman year you could take introduction to biology and introduction to psychology in order to get a feel for which fits you better. Do not get too stressed out about planning every semester just yet.

Physics is not a course to fear! With a good professor, you may find you enjoy it. A degree in psychology can lead to a variety of employment, including social work or PR. When you graduate you will also find that you can be hired for positions that you do not hold a super relevant degree in. For example, my friend has a bachelor's in engineering and works for Goldman Sachs, an investment banking company. Try to enjoy your last year of high school and worry about finding your major when you have more information.

Honestly you should be able to get most of your pre-reqs done with either major or any major for that matter. You would just take them as electives. PA schools don't really care what you major is, neither do Medical schools these days. Pick something that interests you, that you can do well in and that offers you some career options if you don't get into PA school right away. Or alternatively you can take your EMT over a summer break and maybe get your Paramedic while in school, that gives you great experience and a job when you get out of college.

12 hours ago, milesHenson1 said:

Honestly you should be able to get most of your pre-reqs done with either major or any major for that matter. You would just take them as electives. PA schools don't really care what you major is, neither do Medical schools these days. Pick something that interests you, that you can do well in and that offers you some career options if you don't get into PA school right away. Or alternatively you can take your EMT over a summer break and maybe get your Paramedic while in school, that gives you great experience and a job when you get out of college.

Thank you! I was planning on trying to become a CNA but I will also consider that option. I decided to go the psychology route, and now I have to wait to see if I get into any schools.

Archived