Too old?

Greetings to all past & present,

Been here a long time and now I see that some of the prePA's are PA-C's which is awesome! Congrats ladies and gentlemen and those unable to be classified.

Since I wouldn't expect anyone to look up my post I'll include a bit of history. I'm a 10 year vet, Navy Corpsman (90-00). On six (6) research pubs back in 2001 when I was a lab tech. Just earned my M.Div. (2011) and I've been a program manager for 10 years with the Navy Research Center. I will be finished with the prereqs at the end of Spring 2013 and applying the same year.

So I will be 41 when I apply for school and 44 when I graduate. Too old? My confusion is that I read 41 for Navy and 42 for Army but not sure if that is age at application, commission, or graduation.

For those so inclined (Contrarian) feel free to tell me not to go the military route. :)

For those wondering why I would look into the military, well I did 10 years and am still working where I was last stationed...so you could say I never left the military, I was just taken off the deployment roster. The biggest reason is my wife and I will be adopting our first child this year and I do not want to take out loans to pay for school. So the HPSP stipend would be awesome, if I were awarded the scholarship. Deployments will suck but then again it is the military.

Anyhow any PA's please feel free to jump on in and give me some feedback or ideas.

As stated you will get a subtraction for every year on active duty. So for example, if he cut-off is age 41 AT TIME OF COMMISSIONING, then assuming you come in prior to your 44th b-day, then you are then considered a 34 yo.

Only thing is that ages are corps specific in comparison to line Officers (Staff Corps). We have all heard of CTS/Ortho/Trauma surgeons coming on active duty at the age of 50+ during times of war (read:need). Some are waaaaay old, lol.

So I have your inquiry going up to the highest level of the recruiting command for the latest guidance on upcoming changes to MSC Officer cut-offs. My advice is that you get on it though because you may be encroaching most max ages since your age "adjustment" is at 34 yo with your current timeline.

I should get a response within 72 hrs. I am a day ahead compared to CONUS at my current billet...

Nice...I graduated Corps School in Dec of 90, graduated FMSS in Feb of 91. Bethesday 93-95 was cardiac step down then surgical tech school, back to Bethesda 98-00 working in Plastics/reconstructive surgery clinic.

Sounds like I was the class after you in A school and I cannot remember when I graduated FMSS, but it was early 91.

Thanks Navy PA-C. Looking forward to hearing what the brass will say. If I'm able to squeeze by I'm okay with that. In is in. Now I just need Anne Arundel CC to accept me, pass my classes, and pass the PANCE... :)

Whats up My "Ninja"...!?!?!?!?

Just apply to 10 schools... and attend the shortest and maybe closest one.

Hell... if you are willing to be "deployed" again (away from family and comfort)... then why in the hell would you limit yourself to local PA programs...??? Just apply broadly to ensure you secure a seat on YOUR timeline and go and knock it out.

Also... this may sound trite... but don't worry about paying for it. Just get in... paying for it will figure itself out.

Especially since you are seriously considering active service. Hell since you are considering deployments... get done with PA school and those alaskan tribes with pay off all your loans and then some and will even throw in some fresh seafood...

Welcome back bruda...!!!

:;-D:

For the Navy I believe you must be commissioned by 42? And I don't think there is any credit for previous AD time. But that may be just for folks that go the IPAP route. I know for a fact that for IPAPers, they don't subtract AD time and there are no age waivers given. May be different for direct commission. Good luck.

It is different for IPAP vs direct accession vs HPSP. For the Navy that is. The IPAP Navy quotas are not great and the retainability is not what it used to be. Hence the birth of Navy HPSP. There is considerable cost "growing" a PA and also a degree of risk inherent with having low quotas meant to fill the attrition rates through IPAP alone.

The fact that AD time does not subtract is a good example of retainability concerns. How long do you think an HMC with 16+ years is going to stay in if he/she were allowed to attend IPAP at the adjusted age of <30 yo with only a 3 year payback? The answer is 3 years for most. Not all, but most. They will take the retirement and new income potential and carry on at an ER gig in DFW area making 120K+...

The metrics are available on NKO HMtoPA? so you can see the current state of the corps. Overall we are doing "fine" but interesting to see the RAD rate last year and the number of junior Officer ranks on the latest retirement scroll. A lot of LTs...

From OPNAVINST 1120.8A:

-----

(2) Active and Reserve MSC applicants must be

commissioned before their 42nd birthday. On a limited case by

case basis, Commander, Navy Recruiting Command (COMNAVCRUITCOM)

is granted waiver authority for applicants between ages 42 and

57. Waivers cannot be sub-delegated below the flag level and

COMNAVCRUITCOM shall maintain on file written justification for

each waiver granted.

-----

It goes on to discuss the exceptions. It is too much to repost here so a quick google search is in order.

Whats up My "Ninja"...!?!?!?!?

Just apply to 10 schools... and attend the shortest and maybe closest one.

Hell... if you are willing to be "deployed" again (away from family and comfort)... then why in the hell would you limit yourself to local PA programs...??? Just apply broadly to ensure you secure a seat on YOUR timeline and go and knock it out.

Also... this may sound trite... but don't worry about paying for it. Just get in... paying for it will figure itself out.

Especially since you are seriously considering active service. Hell since you are considering deployments... get done with PA school and those alaskan tribes with pay off all your loans and then some and will even throw in some fresh seafood...

Welcome back bruda...!!!

:;-D:

Hey there Contra! Thanks for the advice. PM on its way. ;)

For the Navy I believe you must be commissioned by 42? And I don't think there is any credit for previous AD time. But that may be just for folks that go the IPAP route. I know for a fact that for IPAPers, they don't subtract AD time and there are no age waivers given. May be different for direct commission. Good luck.

Thanks HMtoPA.

From OPNAVINST 1120.8A:

-----

(2) Active and Reserve MSC applicants must be

commissioned before their 42nd birthday. On a limited case by

case basis, Commander, Navy Recruiting Command (COMNAVCRUITCOM)

is granted waiver authority for applicants between ages 42 and

57. Waivers cannot be sub-delegated below the flag level and

COMNAVCRUITCOM shall maintain on file written justification for

each waiver granted.

-----

It goes on to discuss the exceptions. It is too much to repost here so a quick google search is in order.

Thanks PA-C. Now, ignorant question coming, if all goes as planned when would I be commissioned? In other words once accepted to school and the H??P package is accepted I would get commissioned right before school correct? So "before their 42nd birthday" is before May 2014 which would be the year I start PA school. That sound about right? Don't worry about me taking any of this as gospel because I know all too well that the military is about current funds and which admiral likes what. I just need the "word on the street."

How long do you think an HMC with 16+ years is going to stay in if he/she were allowed to attend IPAP at the adjusted age of <30 yo with only a 3 year payback? The answer is 3 years for most. Not all, but most. They will take the retirement and new income potential and carry on at an ER gig in DFW area making 120K+...

Well, except that we have to do a minimum of 10 years as an officer to retire. So that 16 year HMC will need to do at least 26. I've heard some guys say you can retire earlier at your old enlisted rank and still get your "High 3" retirement, but I've seen in writing were it specifically says there is no conversion to enlisted rank possible for retirement purposes. So I'm not sure what to believe (doesn't really apply to me anyway because I'll have almost 10 years exactly once I get commissioned, so I'll need to do 10 more either way).

Well, except that we have to do a minimum of 10 years as an officer to retire. So that 16 year HMC will need to do at least 26. I've heard some guys say you can retire earlier at your old enlisted rank and still get your "High 3" retirement, but I've seen in writing were it specifically says there is no conversion to enlisted rank possible for retirement purposes. So I'm not sure what to believe (doesn't really apply to me anyway because I'll have almost 10 years exactly once I get commissioned, so I'll need to do 10 more either way).

Not sure what's in writing anymore but those mustangs I know who retired prior to completing their 10 as an officer, retired as enlisted for pay purposes. It might be different now but I doubt that in the above scenario the former Chief would forfeit the retirement because they did not complete all 10 years as an officer. While retirements of LT's might be high that isn't to say they didn't already put in their 10 as officers. However none of this is really my concern. I'm just looking to get schooled paid for and now there is the HPSP for PA school, which is about time.

Archived