I got a new job

I'm just putting this out there, to hopefully help others since I was desperate to know salary and benefits while I was on my search.  For reference, I have 16 years orthopedic experience (all with the same employer believe it or not) and am moving to a different orthopedic group.  I live in a relatively low COL area, urban, hospital in a somewhat depressed area economically but very busy with a lot of growth in their orthopedic platform so it is a more secure job.  Switching from private practice to hospital employed group.

Salary 115k, bonus paid annually at 7500

3k CME plus 5 days

4 weeks PTO

My health insurance costs will go down DRAMATICALLY.  Currently pay 1100 a month, will be paying 450.  Yay!

No call/weekends. Yay!

License/DEA/etc covered.

I had 2 other offers as well, but did not care for surgeon or office manager at one place, and other did not have benefits that made it worth switching.  I hope this is my last job change.  

Solid offer, I would ask more about the bonus? It is based off RVUs, etc? I'm glad your health care insurance is going to and stop me if I am getting into your business, but why the heck are you paying so much for health insurance? Even my parents don't pay this much nor do I know anyone that pays that much per month. Have you thought about Christian sharing insurance? My wife and kiddos have it and it works great and pays great. My employer pays 100% of my health/dental/eye, but I am also on the Christian insurance as well cause it cost $2/month to add me so we did. We use Medishare, but there are a lot other out there to look into. I know this is off subject, but just truly trying to help you and save you LOTs of dimes :) I would take the job as it seems REALLY solid! Congrats! 

My hours will generally be 730 to 5 ish.  There is possibility of going later in the OR one day a week on post call day, but I was told by the physician that if I had a kid obligation, etc to go to I would be able to leave by 5 and an rnfa would cover for me the rest of the time.  My health insurance has always sucked mostly because my husband is a SAHD since we have no family locally, so we have purchased an individual plan for him the past decade.  That has gone up astronomically the past 2 or 3 years, but putting him on my work plan would actually be worse than the individual plan we have for him now.  So the group plan I will be getting is going to be a huge relief.  I have never heard of Christian sharing insurance, but I sounds like it would be worth checking out.

honestly, i feel someone with your experience should be getting way more. i have friends with 10 years experience who are making 140k +. Some kids i precepted are starting at 115k. Don't know where you live but seems like you should be getting more with 16 years experience. 

14 hours ago, NJPL1213 said:

honestly, i feel someone with your experience should be getting way more. i have friends with 10 years experience who are making 140k +. Some kids i precepted are starting at 115k. Don't know where you live but seems like you should be getting more with 16 years experience. 

I was thinking the same thing

I was offered more at another position, but an extra 10-15 k a year is not worth weekends and nights to me, especially with a family and extra especially with a person that I didn't really feel like I would want to spend 50 plus hours a week.  After 16 of experience, if you go to work and are miserable, all the money in the world does not make up for that.  I live in a relativley low COL area so this salary seems pretty adequate to me, doing work that I like with people I like. 

On 11/4/2017 at 4:25 PM, Orthogurl said:

I was offered more at another position, but an extra 10-15 k a year is not worth weekends and nights to me, especially with a family and extra especially with a person that I didn't really feel like I would want to spend 50 plus hours a week.  After 16 of experience, if you go to work and are miserable, all the money in the world does not make up for that.  I live in a relativley low COL area so this salary seems pretty adequate to me, doing work that I like with people I like. 

makes sense.. as long as you are happy with your job thats all that matters.. regardless it's a good deal either way 115k isn't something to complain about

Archived