New grad jobs in NC??

@TheLastStone thanks for the response. Funny I am actually from Charlotte! I always planned to go back but my fiancee is doing a phd at UNC, so here I am. I really love the charlotte area. I want to move back in a few years once he is done with his degree. Seems like there's more opportunities there and no PA school I guess other than wingate nearby. 

10 minutes ago, michellemybell said:

@TheLastStone thanks for the response. Funny I am actually from Charlotte! I always planned to go back but my fiancee is doing a phd at UNC, so here I am. I really love the charlotte area. I want to move back in a few years once he is done with his degree. Seems like there's more opportunities there and no PA school I guess other than wingate nearby. 

I'm a born and raised Charlottean myself! I'm having a heck of a time trying to find some to shadow, even though there are plenty. I see them all the time! Wingate is the only PA school close, as far as NC goes. There is a new one in SC that is fairly close called Charleston Southern Or North Greenville... can't remember. It's odd that the UNC or Duke system isn't needing more PAs. I suppose they get a lot or atleast some that graduate from their programs. Maybe there's some private practice around the area that you could get set up with?  

On 11/2/2017 at 5:30 PM, TheLastStone said:

I'm a born and raised Charlottean myself! I'm having a heck of a time trying to find some to shadow, even though there are plenty. I see them all the time! Wingate is the only PA school close, as far as NC goes. There is a new one in SC that is fairly close called Charleston Southern Or North Greenville... can't remember. It's odd that the UNC or Duke system isn't needing more PAs. I suppose they get a lot or atleast some that graduate from their programs. Maybe there's some private practice around the area that you could get set up with?  

North Greenville is the new school in Upstate SC, but it is not that close to Charlotte. Probably almost 2 hours. Gardner Webb is significantly closer. 

Speaking to the OP, if you are interested in the Ashville area and are ok with a 45 min commute or so, the Upstate of SC is a pretty massive job market for PA's. Up until last year, our state only had 1 PA program so the need is great. Carolina HealthCare in Charlotte employs more PA's than are working in the entire state of SC. I know you said your hubby is at UNC, but it is definitely worth considering in the future. We are an NP dominated state but a lot of people in the big hospitals are realizing how much better the PA education is and the job market is opening up. 

3 hours ago, mooredc said:

North Greenville is the new school in Upstate SC, but it is not that close to Charlotte. Probably almost 2 hours. Gardner Webb is significantly closer. 

You are correct. I was thinking off when I was talking with someone about school close to my area and I was informed of NGU and how it is closer to me than Duke and UNC and such. Still looking into that program! Didn't they just matriculate their first class?

I am surprised you are having difficulty finding a PA job in the Triangle area.  There are a lot of PA programs in the area, but there are also a lot of hospitals and the surrounding rural areas have a significant need.  Where did you go to school at?  

NCAPA has a lot of jobs listed on their site as well

It's extremely difficult to get into the big hostpial systems aka unc and duke, without having done rotations there or graduating from their class. I spoke with a physician recruiter yesterday for unc and she straight up said it's a hard market with unc pa class graduating next month and everyone currrently interviewing for the open positions. I've known many people who had applied and even gotten thru the interview process at unc or duke to never hear back, it sucks. Like others, I assumed it wouldn't be terrible getting a job with all the hospitals here but it's just not the case. Wake forest would have been better to get into but I just moved from that area. I'm focusing my efforts towards applying to positions not affiliated with the big systems. Lots of psych (!!) and urgent care positions but I would prefer family. Have heard starting in urgent care isn't ideal for a new grad. Honestly considering it if nothing moves within the next month. Thoughts on this? Btw- my interest is in outpatient settings.

Did you graduate from Wake forest?  Have you tried getting in contact with your school to use their network?  Or used your alumni network?

yes, UNC and Duke will be hard to get into. It’s not what you know, it’s who. But the satellite hospitals (Duke Raleigh, UNC High point, Johnston Health Smithfield or Clayton), aren’t as hard to weasel into, and there is also Rex, Wake, etc. 

and then hen there are the rural hospitals. Central Harnett/Betsy Johnson are always looking for help

honestly I think you strongest bet is going to be utilizing your school/alumni for contacts

aw shucks i didn't realize how saturated the market was in NC.  I'm at school in RI, originally from NY, and have family in NC.  I was really considering trying to find a job in NC once I graduate in March.  I guess without any strong ties to NC, for a new grad the odds of landing a job are even slimmer?

@SNA3189It really depends where in NC! I don't want to deter your from coming back here, I love living in NC. Just giving my experience as a new grad the past couple of months. I would suggest looking EARLY before graduating, don't want until passing the PANCE like I did. I underestimated how long and difficult it would be to find a job here. It all depends on what field you're into and whether you're flexible. I'm telling you, there's a TON of psych position open if that's your thing ?

16 minutes ago, michellemybell said:

@SNA3189It really depends where in NC! I don't want to deter your from coming back here, I love living in NC. Just giving my experience as a new grad the past couple of months. I would suggest looking EARLY before graduating, don't want until passing the PANCE like I did. I underestimated how long and difficult it would be to find a job here. It all depends on what field you're into and whether you're flexible. I'm telling you, there's a TON of psych position open if that's your thing ?

Have you searched around the Charlotte area or is it saturated as well? I know the CMC hospital system really loves PAs and there's less programs nearby.

thanks @michellemybell and @ilygurlie.  I've started looking at jobs all over the state, but I haven't applied yet. I don't know the different areas too well, its been two decades since i've been down there, so i'm definitely open to going wherever.  And i'm trying not to be too picky as a new grad.  I'd really love something general, like internal med, family med, or maybe an urgent care or ED, but I definitely don't want to limit myself...Also, any advice on what's considered too early to apply?  I was thinking I'd start around January.

I'm glad I found this thread.  Good luck to those also on the job hunt!

Look rural. Like anything in the PA world: find the jobs doctors don’t want to do, either because they don’t think their time is worth it or they don’t want to live there.  That’s where a new grad will find work  

Get experience then then look at the cities. 

Or do a residency and and don’t worry about any of this. 

Alternatively use your rotations in RI to find a job, get a year of experience, then start applying in NC 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys-- update. I received my first offer in the area and field I want but the offer was kind of a slap in the face. Solo peds practice here offered 75k base salary with less than stellar benefits. Actually no benefits but rather a small stipend to go towards my own insurance monthly. 10 days PTO plus 7 holidays. Malpractice paid. The doc said when they hired the current NP albeit five years ago, she started at 68k. I was SHOCKED. Super disappointing ?. He had a gorgeous clinic... Tvs in every kids exam room. Smh. 

10 hours ago, michellemybell said:

Hey guys-- update. I received my first offer in the area and field I want but the offer was kind of a slap in the face. Solo peds practice here offered 75k base salary with less than stellar benefits. Actually no benefits but rather a small stipend to go towards my own insurance monthly. 10 days PTO plus 7 holidays. Malpractice paid. The doc said when they hired the current NP albeit five years ago, she started at 68k. I was SHOCKED. Super disappointing ?. He had a gorgeous clinic... Tvs in every kids exam room. Smh. 

Wow.. that’s crazy someone accepted that. what area was this in? Have you tried looking around Charlotte?

Archived