What do you think of my chances?

Hey guys, my name is Alex Miller! 

I will be applying to PA programs next year, and wanted some feedback on my chances of getting into some schools. Sooooo...

I'm am currently a junior at Virginia Tech (21 yrs old) studying towards a BS. in Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise, with Spanish minor

Pre-reqs: (future) 3.8 (C in Organic Chemistry) 

(also, Gen Chem I/II and labs all taken at community college, finished with A's)

(future) sGPA: approx. 3.3-3.45

(future) overall GPA: 3.5-3.6

GRE: taking in the summer, expecting 80-90% percentile in all sections

HCE: 5,000 hrs as EMT-Basic (member of 3 emt squads)

Shadowing: 50 hrs w/ Trauma Surgeon; 20 w/ ICU nurse; 25 w/ ER PA

Volunteering: 100 hrs. ED volunteer

Other: Pulmonary Research Lab job w/ Cardiothorastic surgeon (300 + hrs)

(Also, I have high faith that I could talk my way out of any huge blemishes in my application if given the chance to interview!)

I'd really love to go to a school such a Penn State, GWU, Wake Forest, UNC, but I realize that my GPA is wayyyy below average, and I may be shooting too high. Anyone have some opinions to share? Please be brutally honest, anything helps!!

it's not all about GPA so don't freak out about that. your Spanish minor is awesome! schools will love that. make sure your personal statement shines, get really good rec letters, and score well on the GRE. i don't foresee you having any trouble landing interviews. i think you could also benefit from gaining more volunteering hours.. good luck!!

I wouldn't say that your GPA is way below average, if anything I would say that your GPA currently is average. You still have another semester and a half at least to improve those numbers. You have plenty of hours and you seem pretty confident in your abilities to score highly on the GRE. As mentioned above you should have no issues getting interviews, depending on where you apply. Make sure your personal statement is solid and you should be in good shape.

Archived